Worried my Roo is too comfortable šŸ˜¬

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Okay. Sooooo. My top roo, Phoenix, is a big beautiful RIR, a little over 6 months old.

Iā€™m honestly starting to get nervous around him, and I donā€™t know what to do about it. Up until yesterday he hadnā€™t shown even the slightest hint of aggression. He always comes into the coop whenever I go in, unless they are free-ranging at the time and then itā€™s 50/50 whether he cares enough to keep an eye on me or not. He does get within a couple feet of me, but usually is just pecking at the ground the whole time, just kinda watching me as I collect the eggs. He isnā€™t afraid of me, even if I stomp my feet near him he doesnā€™t move away, just keeps pecking the ground where he is.

Well yesterday I went in to collect eggs, without thinking about it I was wearing a hot pink T-shirt. He came into coop as usual, but seemed to be eyeing me a lot more than normal. As soon as I squatted down to pick up eggs, he ran towards me with a quickness. I immediately stood back up and he stopped in his tracks but was giving me the stink eye. He didnā€™t flog or bite or try to get me with his spurs, but I feel like he would have, if I hadnā€™t seen him coming. I just stood there over him until he went back to pecking the ground, and then I exited the coop, without turning my back.

Now today when I went to collect, (NOT wearing any shade of red), when he came to keep watch over me, I just felt nervous the whole time. He keeps getting closer and closer, looking curious, but it makes me nervous and I know he can sense that. Iā€™m afraid to even bend over enough to (gently) shove him out of the way. I know this is BAD. I know he can sense my unease. I love him so much but now Iā€™m starting to become outright afraid of him, and he hasnā€™t even hurt me! I donā€™t like this feeling at all. My girls (9 & 12) like to check for eggs when they get home from school, but after the way he ran at me yesterday now Iā€™m feeling uneasy about them going in there if heā€™s in the coop.

What do I do? Do I just keep doing what Iā€™m doing for now, and wait until he tries something again and then react? How can I be more proactive about this? I do NOT want to end up in a situation where I need to cull, he so far has been a great roo, treats me girls well, calls them over when he finds a treat, tries to drop food at their feet, is gentle when he mates, etc. Plus I really do love him. But I donā€™t want to put myself, and *especially* not my kids in a position to get ambushed by him. I have suspected Marekā€™s and highly suspect one of my hens has MG as well, so rehoming is not an option whatsoever. The only way out now is culling and I donā€™t think I can bring myself to do that, at least not yet. It would have to be a very last resort. But idk. Iā€™m scared šŸ˜«

The ground pecking and side eye is aggressive in itself. My gut instinct is that this behavior is going to worsen as he matures. Given the age of the children involved, he would have to go if he was mine.
Oh!? I thought the pecking was a submissive thing, like ā€œoh, donā€™t mind me Iā€™m not here to challenge you, just doing my own thingā€
Thatā€™s worrisome then.

Pecking and clucking as if to call you towards some treats is not aggressive behaviour, but pecking the ground standing sideways without clucking while giving you the stink eye and closing in on you is challenging you to fight with him.
Some cockerels/roosters protect the nesting area and the eggs, others don't care to see a human take them.

Considering his behaviour towards you at only 6 months of age, I think he will attack soon, so in order to keep your girls safe, find him a new home, best in your freezer as other people should not be endangered by him either.

Last edited:
Pecking and clucking as if to call you towards some treats is not aggressive behaviour, but pecking the ground standing sideways without clucking while giving you the stink eye and closing in on you is challenging you to fight with him.
Some cockerels/roosters protect the nesting area and the eggs, others don't care to see a human take them.

Considering his behaviour towards you at only 6 months of age, I think he will attack soon, so in order to keep your girls save, find him a new home, best in your freezer as other people should not be endangered by him either.
When I say pecking at the ground, heā€™s like digging and scratching in the bedding as well, like heā€™s foraging. I honestly canā€™t think in this moment whether he clucks while doing it or not.

Is it worth at least trying some of the ā€œrooster tamingā€ techniques, like holding him down, carrying him around, etc? Or is that more likely to backfire than help?

When I say pecking at the ground, heā€™s like digging and scratching in the bedding as well, like heā€™s foraging. I honestly canā€™t think in this moment whether he clucks while doing it or not.

Is it worth at least trying some of the ā€œrooster tamingā€ techniques, like holding him down, carrying him around, etc? Or is that more likely to backfire than help?
With your children in the picture I would rather not take any risks. RIR are big and he will grow much bigger and heavier still.

Your gut instinct worked well and alerted you to the change in his behaviour and the danger that comes with it.

How do

šŸ˜­ I know in my heart youā€™re right. I just donā€™t think I can bring myself to handle it šŸ’”
I know it is hard to see your beloved little chick mature and under hormonal influence become aggressive and dangerous.

Be proactive and cull him before someone gets seriously hurt. Maybe a neighbour can do it for you.

Okay. Sooooo. My top roo, Phoenix, is a big beautiful RIR, a little over 6 months old.

Iā€™m honestly starting to get nervous around him, and I donā€™t know what to do about it. Up until yesterday he hadnā€™t shown even the slightest hint of aggression. He always comes into the coop whenever I go in, unless they are free-ranging at the time and then itā€™s 50/50 whether he cares enough to keep an eye on me or not. He does get within a couple feet of me, but usually is just pecking at the ground the whole time, just kinda watching me as I collect the eggs. He isnā€™t afraid of me, even if I stomp my feet near him he doesnā€™t move away, just keeps pecking the ground where he is.

Well yesterday I went in to collect eggs, without thinking about it I was wearing a hot pink T-shirt. He came into coop as usual, but seemed to be eyeing me a lot more than normal. As soon as I squatted down to pick up eggs, he ran towards me with a quickness. I immediately stood back up and he stopped in his tracks but was giving me the stink eye. He didnā€™t flog or bite or try to get me with his spurs, but I feel like he would have, if I hadnā€™t seen him coming. I just stood there over him until he went back to pecking the ground, and then I exited the coop, without turning my back.

Now today when I went to collect, (NOT wearing any shade of red), when he came to keep watch over me, I just felt nervous the whole time. He keeps getting closer and closer, looking curious, but it makes me nervous and I know he can sense that. Iā€™m afraid to even bend over enough to (gently) shove him out of the way. I know this is BAD. I know he can sense my unease. I love him so much but now Iā€™m starting to become outright afraid of him, and he hasnā€™t even hurt me! I donā€™t like this feeling at all. My girls (9 & 12) like to check for eggs when they get home from school, but after the way he ran at me yesterday now Iā€™m feeling uneasy about them going in there if heā€™s in the coop.

What do I do? Do I just keep doing what Iā€™m doing for now, and wait until he tries something again and then react? How can I be more proactive about this? I do NOT want to end up in a situation where I need to cull, he so far has been a great roo, treats me girls well, calls them over when he finds a treat, tries to drop food at their feet, is gentle when he mates, etc. Plus I really do love him. But I donā€™t want to put myself, and *especially* not my kids in a position to get ambushed by him. I have suspected Marekā€™s and highly suspect one of my hens has MG as well, so rehoming is not an option whatsoever. The only way out now is culling and I donā€™t think I can bring myself to do that, at least not yet. It would have to be a very last resort. But idk. Iā€™m scared šŸ˜«
Well I think itā€™s the shade of color my rooster does the same but he knows I will not allow him to attack me

Back
Top Bottom