Worried my Roo is too comfortable šŸ˜¬

My roo does this. Never mistake fake eating and side eye for real grazing, hahaha. It's always bad intent.

That being said, I have a pretty big dog kennel in the center of my run and if I need him on lockdown I just shoo him in with a broom or a walking stick. He has a job to do and occasionally being locked up in a comfy area while I do my thing doesn't bother me. If I was NOT confident in my fences / keeping him contained it would be a different story.

Big hugs... It's a tough decision but all part of maintaining peace for you and your flock.

If one of my cockerels starts doing the pecking, edging up to one thing, I chase them. Around the coop. around the run, until I've had enough.
I know not everyone says that this sort of thing works, and I don't think it would with established aggression, but it does seem to work well when they are just trying it out.
If it doesn't help, then I would cull.

For some reason chickens can't associate colors or texture of clothing well on there handlers. There response is to evade or attack. So wearing the same colored clothes assures them things are normal from there perspective.

I take the opposite approach. With the exception of my muck boots, of which I only own one pair, I make a point of wearing different clothing and different colors when taking care of the flock.

That, I believe, acclimates them to change in my appearance so that they're less likely to be upset by such trivialities.

I wear lots of different colors out there, different shoes and boots, jackets, everything, and nobody cares. I agree that your cockerel is not behaving well, and will get worse. If you have either disease problem in your flock, he can't be rehomed.
It also seems that you haven't had either disease actually diagnosed; it's best to find out for sure if either are present! Sorry, but this is an opportunity to have him do you and your flock a service, by having him tested rather than placing him elsewhere, or in your freezer. You won't actually have to do the deed either that way.
With children involved, sooner is better than later, because he won't be safe around them.
Mary

He is still young and working through hormones, there is a *chance* he will settle down but if you have kiddos around Im not sure I'd wait around to find out. I had a young semi aggresive RIR, but as he got older he actually became a little gentleman. I did the picking him up as he was being a dirtbag and/or asserting dominance, no more special treatment like hand feeding or lap sitting. He eventually stopped being a dirtbag and is now everyones favorite guy. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
I am not suggesting to keep an aggresive rooster around, just telling you how my situation unfolded. Keep yourself and the kiddos safe first and foremost. šŸ‘

He is still young and working through hormones, there is a *chance* he will settle down but if you have kiddos around Im not sure I'd wait around to find out. I had a young semi aggresive RIR, but as he got older he actually became a little gentleman. I did the picking him up as he was being a dirtbag and/or asserting dominance, no more special treatment like hand feeding or lap sitting. He eventually stopped being a dirtbag and is now everyones favorite guy. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
I am not suggesting to keep an aggresive rooster around, just telling you how my situation unfolded. Keep yourself and the kiddos safe first and foremost. šŸ‘
My rooster only attacks everyone but me because I take care of them but he will look at me now that we got new hens

I wear lots of different colors out there, different shoes and boots, jackets, everything, and nobody cares. I agree that your cockerel is not behaving well, and will get worse. If you have either disease problem in your flock, he can't be rehomed.
It also seems that you haven't had either disease actually diagnosed; it's best to find out for sure if either are present! Sorry, but this is an opportunity to have him do you and your flock a service, by having him tested rather than placing him elsewhere, or in your freezer. You won't actually have to do the deed either that way.
With children involved, sooner is better than later, because he won't be safe around them.
Mary
Yeah, I had a necropsy done on another roo, but that was before my Sebright started with MG symptoms. The roo died from sepsis but had some ā€œmononuclearā€ invaders or something like that, that the examiner noted ā€œmay beā€ associated with Marekā€™s. But was never given a definitive positive on that, so I decided to close my flock just in case. My hen just recently developed the MG symptoms and has lived in a totally separate coop so Iā€™m not sure if MG would even show up on Phoenix if heā€™s not showing any symptoms. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

Back
Top Bottom