Worried my Roo is too comfortable 😬

The ground pecking and side eye is aggressive in itself. My gut instinct is that this behavior is going to worsen as he matures. Given the age of the children involved, he would have to go if he was mine.
Agreed. I had a Gold-Laced Polish rooster who after a while became more and more aggressive. A second rooster (unknown sex at first) was introduced to the flock. As he got older and the first roo became more aggressive, the youngster would even get between me and the older bird, blocking his increasing attacks. The nasty bird finally made an attack using his spurs, not just his feet, and poked a hole through my jeans and skin. My solution was to shoot him on the spot* and hoist him into the creek, where he sailed away. The remaining rooster, Cogburn, has remained an exceptional bird to this day. I don't know if he's a quick study, or just a good bird generally. My twin granddaughters, 9, hand feed him -- only in my presence. He won't even take hand-held snacks from me! Perhaps he realizes I'm the top bird?

* I carry on property, so there's no grace period. :)

I have had many roosters. All became lovely friends and still protective of the hens and eggs, their only job in life! I try to get them used to a regular routine so they are not suspicious or aggressive. Try just throwing some treats outside the coup, away from the door. Go in to do your cleaning and egg collection. When finished and ready to go out, slightly open the door and throw treats away from the doorand leave. I always try to move slowly as chickens do. Fast movement in fear alert the rooster and result in suspicion and aggression. Be slow and know that it is only a bird! I had only one that didn't settle with time and slow patience. He was rescued from a cockfight. Popeye! A white leghorn and a big one. We put a center divider between the eggs and the run . Threw some treats into the run and scooted in and slid the door on the divider closed. Then could pick up eggs and clean up in peace. The rooster is not very smart and only doing what nature intended him to do. Protect the hens and eggs in his territory! You can outsmart him and you can teach your children that you all are smarter than a bird! On occasion with trouble moving Popeye out to the run, we would carry a trash an lid in as a shield to scoot him along and protect the human. It worked well. We have a lovely old rooster named Cooper right now. He comes to the porch and sits by me. They do tame with time and patience. Don't be afraid and be prepared. Never go to war without your weapons lol! Have everything handy and work smoothly and slowly.
I have found that a couple of squirts with a hose did the trick. All I need to do now is hold a sprayer head in my hand and he’s suddenly very interested in something far away from me! I will say that bright colors do set him off, but he usually calms down when he realizes it’s me.

I carry my big RIR around all the time. He is very protective of his hens and will chase off other birds. He will fight them too but very kind with me. Before even thinking of culling him I would try other techniques.
Well done. He's a cockerel protecting his flock.

My RIR hen is named Mother Clucker for a reason - she's the only one who will peck you every single time she's in the nesting box, and she's the one who picked on my Silkie roo when we first adopted him. I've heard RIR's are more aggressive in general.

One thing you could try, before resorting to @Handler2015 's means (awesome, by the way - I like your style! 🤣) is something my former landlady did many years ago with her roo, Butthead... he was some kind of fighting cock breed, maybe a Roundhead? Anytime he'd get aggressive, she snatched him up by his feet, and shook him upside down until the blood rushed to his head and he chilled out. Then she'd set him back down, and he'd woozily toddle off, as peaceful as could be. 😂 I don't know that this is the recommended way to deal with it, but it worked for Butthead!

My RIR hen is named Mother Clucker for a reason - she's the only one who will peck you every single time she's in the nesting box, and she's the one who picked on my Silkie roo when we first adopted him. I've heard RIR's are more aggressive in general.

One thing you could try, before resorting to @Handler2015 's means (awesome, by the way - I like your style! 🤣) is something my former landlady did many years ago with her roo, Butthead... he was some kind of fighting cock breed, maybe a Roundhead? Anytime he'd get aggressive, she snatched him up by his feet, and shook him upside down until the blood rushed to his head and he chilled out. Then she'd set him back down, and he'd woozily toddle off, as peaceful as could be. 😂 I don't know that this is the recommended way to deal with it, but it worked for Butthead!
😆 Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom