Worried -- What would you do?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SkyWarrior, Jun 30, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I brought home the 4 BO chicks and mystery chick yesterday. People have looked at their photos and think they're about 3-4 weeks old, and I concur. I put them in a big dog kennel away from the other chickens and gave them food and water. So far, so good.

Today, when I got home from a martial arts class, I checked on them and heard squeaking. Next to the crate was a rat or mouse baby (size of a quarter -- newborn? Eyes weren't open). When I looked around, there were three more of these rodent babies scattered in a circle around the crate. [​IMG] I scooped them all up, killed them and got rid of them. [​IMG]

Now, this had me worried about the chicks. They're fine right now, but I was concerned that maybe tonight they wouldn't be. So, I put them in a smaller crate in the coop/pen that has hardware cloth around the bottom and is roofed with hardware cloth. All my older chicks (14-20 weeks old) are in the coop and surround the little chicks' crate. This was the same pen I used for the brooder, so it's relatively secure and I didn't get rats in there even though we had an earlier rat infestation that I took care of with rat bait. (I hate using the stuff).

So, should I worry about the chicks tonight? I keep a light on for the birds just to prevent anyone going into a stupor. I would think 19 older chicks (17 pullets and 2 roos) would be enough of a deterrent along with the two geese and turkey next to their pen. What do you think?[​IMG]

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    As far as your older birds I would think they will be sleeping too and won't even notice if there was a rat unless it was after them. As far as the chicks, if you have hardware cloth all around the crate then I would think they would be ok. Are you sure they were baby rats? We recently found a litter of dead baby squirrels that fell out of their nest and died. Could they have been squirrels?

3. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Pretty sure. Or mice. This is in my barn and I doubt a squirrel would get in. I looked up and couldn't see a nest of any sort. Not sure what to think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by