Worried :/

Chick1043

Songster
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Idaho
Yesterday around 12:00 - 2:30 my egg pipped into the membrane. STILL hasn't pipped the shell. Is this normal? It's under a broody hen. Thanks

is that afternoon or midnight another words has it been 24hours or 10 hours?

up to 24 hours can be normal. Some people never intervene others do it they think they might be shrink wrapped. Search the term and read as there are some decisions to make and I can't explain all of it here. Most though let it take it's course. I've helped a few with varying success.

is that afternoon or midnight another words has it been 24hours or 10 hours?

up to 24 hours can be normal. Some people never intervene others do it they think they might be shrink wrapped. Search the term and read as there are some decisions to make and I can't explain all of it here. Most though let it take it's course. I've helped a few with varying success.
I has been around 14 - 15 hours. Still no pip..Getting worried. It looks oddly shaped in the egg....When I candled it I could see there was a very small crack, and I do mean very small. I will wait a full 24 hours for it to pip. I'm not one to intervene, but last year it saved one of my hens:)

When one of mine piped but didnt zip i opened the pip so at least it wont suffacate lol then it can take its time to zip lol

If you have opened the pip it may dry out and not be able to complete the zipping process. Apparently the carbon dioxide helps 'motivate' the chick to pip. I have done this before and kicked myself over it. Not all of them survived. And of the ones that did there was a fair bit of bleeding and panic.

It probably still has lots of veins around the membrane that it still needs to absorb. I would proceed with extreme caution only as a last resort.

I am hoping you won't need this but, If you decide to help...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/9316/intervention-helping-your-chicks-hatch

Good luck
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom