Worry - we're having a sudden 30 degree increase in temps to 110+

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jjthink, Jun 5, 2008.

1. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Heat wave coming by Saturday with insane humidity. The sudden change from 70's/80 to 110+ heat index (on the heels of a ton of rain which has left everything super saturated/soggy/buggy) has me worried because my feathered friends (and everyone elses in the same boat) won't have a chance to acclimate. 30+ degree increase essentially overnight and expected to last several days.

I'll set up fans, have lots of cool water and cool fruit treats like watermelon (with a bit of pedialyte?..) and hope they can hang on. Have a ton of family coming to participate in an all weekend townwide yard sale (including my nearly 80 year old folks who should not be in that kind of heat, mom with bad COPD but I know she won't stay inside) so it will be mayhem - am even afraid to let the birds free range so they can find the coolest spot they can (run will be shady but muggy/buggy as a result), since there will be a gazillion shppers around perhaps with dogs off leash. It's been challenging enough that Cooper's hawks are nesting 30 feet from the coop (will they EVER leave?).

Funny how the weather can take something that's supposed to be lighthearted and turn it into a hand wringing exercise! I don't want my sweet roo (no spring chicken) in heat stress and me dealing with customers and not noticing in time!

Good luck to everyone in the same weather situation. Thanks for letting me wring my hands here where people will understand! [​IMG]

JJ

Edited for crazy fast typed spelling!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  2. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Oh no! We'll probably get the same. The forcast says sunny and 80's next week. Not as bad as 100+, but I am out of town next week. I hope my chicken sitter is up for this! Now I'm going to be worried about my girls more than usual. [​IMG]
    Good luck with you gigantic sale! I hope the weather doesn't turn out so bad for you. [​IMG]
    Terry

3. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Well, in my PA forcast the highest I saw was 97 next wednesday. But yeah, it looks like it is going to last at least a week. My girls are three weeks and in a brooder in the garage yet. I have they at 80 this week, so back into the 90's is a big jump. In the garage at kleast it is full shade and I am planning on putting a fan in there for the girlies. Plenty of cool water too!

4. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I have been having that heat for a week. Thank goodness we have had a breese with it. I have fans on the silkies All the pens are under shade trees except for one and i let them freerange so they can get to cooler places. I nearly lost a hen one day this week from the heat. We put cold water on her and she revived.

5. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    97* yesterday and 100* for the next 4 days....We are trying to finish the coop, working under shade trees, fans running wide open and dh is still drenched! I guess I will get to see how hot it is gonna be in the coop before I get my chickens...LOL

6. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    My gosh, yall are going to be hotter than us down here. [​IMG]
    Try to get some vitamin & electrolyte mix from the feed store. I make it up 5 gallons at a time & keep cool & refresh their water several times. Cool watermelon is a great treat when it's hot.
    Sounds like you're going to have an exciting weekend,hang in there.. [​IMG] Hey,send some rain our way,it's turning into a desert here.
    Miriam

7. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

Man its hot & himid in jawja. I hope the hens can stand it. I gave them a watermellon yesterday & they cleaned it up

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Jawja... [​IMG]

I've been wondering if my chickens are going to OD on the frozen watermelon balls I gave them a while ago. Every time I look out there, the chickens are eating it! Of course, it isn't frozen anymore, but it sure must be refreshing to them. [​IMG]

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Yep! I do understand! We're in the same boat here, except the heat wave has reached us today. I'll keep checking on the chickens and crossing my fingers. Good luck to you this weekend. [​IMG]

10. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I'm getting my girls a nice fan to install hopefully Friday before that heat hits us JJ !!

Already got the frozen water bottles on hand. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by