Worrying about everything, please help

I have two babies, hatched around 5hrs ago. One bled quite a lot as was still attached to umbilical and egg and whilst stumbling away from it she pulled it and it got a bit messy. I was reassured over on my other thread asking about it and 5hrs on she is sleepier of the two but still seems to have life in her!

I put them in the brooder after 4hrs but my thermometer is broken and they got very still and quiet, I panicked so put them back in the incubator where I know it’s a steady temperature! What does still and quiet mean? And how often should they sleep? The seem to be mostly asleep, just wake up and have a peep and move about and flap and then go back to sleep..

And is it ok I have put them back into the incubator when there is dried blood in there?! 🥺

Can I cope without a thermometer? I have a brinsea brooder but I don’t even know how high it should be above their little backs...also have a heat lamp but without a thermometer I have no idea how warm they want it

Please help! I want to make sure they’re ok x

Ok- I'd say put them back in the brooder. The chicks know when it's too hot or cold. If they're spread apart away from the heat source, it's too hot, and if they're all huddled up and chirping it's too cold. They will sleep quite a bit-but they shouldn't be lethargic. I'm sure you've figured a lot of this out already as it's been five days, but if you haven't already I'd definitely say put them in the brooder with food & water. Make sure they're eating and drinking enough, and just keep a general eye on them. Any updates? Anyone else who could help?

Ok- I'd say put them back in the brooder. The chicks know when it's too hot or cold. If they're spread apart away from the heat source, it's too hot, and if they're all huddled up and chirping it's too cold. They will sleep quite a bit-but they shouldn't be lethargic. I'm sure you've figured a lot of this out already as it's been five days, but if you haven't already I'd definitely say put them in the brooder with food & water. Make sure they're eating and drinking enough, and just keep a general eye on them. Any updates? Anyone else who could help?

Hi! Thanks for your reply 😌 I needn’t have worried, the two babies are absolutely feisty and the life and soul of my brooder which now also contains TWO surprise extra poppets from eggs I thought were duds! All 4 are beautiful. My surprise third has a bit of a limp and sleeps a lot but the ‘bleeder’ is completely fine- she did sleep a lot the first 3 days but has perked up now. Thanks for thinking of us 🥰

Hi! Thanks for your reply 😌 I needn’t have worried, the two babies are absolutely feisty and the life and soul of my brooder which now also contains TWO surprise extra poppets from eggs I thought were duds! All 4 are beautiful. My surprise third has a bit of a limp and sleeps a lot but the ‘bleeder’ is completely fine- she did sleep a lot the first 3 days but has perked up now. Thanks for thinking of us 🥰
And go buy a thermometer??????

I'm so happy to hear that! Two extras! I hope your chick with a limp gets better :fl. Happy chickening!

Back
Top Bottom