Would 5-grain Scratch help with warmth?

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
I bought 5-grain scratch (includes cracked corn) can I give them it either every morning or night? And would it help with them keeping warm throughout the day or night?

Scratch is a source of calories (energy).
Calories help keep chickens warm.

Yes, giving the chickens a bit of scratch each day can help them keep warm. But if the chickens eat more of their usual food, they will stay warm just as well.

If you give them very much scratch, they will eat less of their usual food, and that could be bad for their health. So I would say to give them small amounts of the scratch, but not a large amount on any day. (Small amount: maybe 1 Tablespoon per chicken, per day.)

One idea for a treat for chickens in cold weather: put some of their usual food in a dish, and add warm water. Chickens seem to really like that, it's quick and easy, and there is no need to limit how much they eat (because adding water doesn't change the amount of nutrients in the feed, so it is just as well balanced as ever.)

Scratch can help put on fat, which can help insulate them. I give food scraps and fat trimmings or suet at times. I primarily use scratch to scatter around the run in winter to give them something to busy themselves with, since bugs and greenery are minimal at that time. My birds have a large run, so I don't measure out an exact amount per bird to give every day. I can see that they aren't pigging out on the extras to the neglect of their regular feed.

Scratch can help put on fat, which can help insulate them. I give food scraps and fat trimmings or suet at times. I primarily use scratch to scatter around the run in winter to give them something to busy themselves with, since bugs and greenery are minimal at that time. My birds have a large run, so I don't measure out an exact amount per bird to give every day. I can see that they aren't pigging out on the extras to the neglect of their regular feed.
Same here Vicker. In the late afternoon in winter I mix their regular food with some 5 way scratch and toss it around the barnyard for them to peck/eat. I don't think they get to much scratch that way as they go through more than enough of their lay feed during the day. And at night, when the temps get below freezing they seem to huddle up to keep warm if they feel cold.

Are you fermenting or just mixing the scratch with warm water and serving?
No fermenting and no scratch.

Just the regular chicken food (pellets or crumbles), plus warm water, and serve almost immediately. The pellets or crumbles will soak up the water quite quickly, within a minute or two, and then it's a nice bowl of warm mash (mushy stuff) that chickens seem to love. And because it is made from a complete, balanced feed it provides the right balance of nutrients, so there is no need to limit how much the chickens get. It is safe for them to eat as much as they want.

No fermenting and no scratch.

Just the regular chicken food (pellets or crumbles), plus warm water, and serve almost immediately. The pellets or crumbles will soak up the water quite quickly, within a minute or two, and then it's a nice bowl of warm mash (mushy stuff) that chickens seem to love. And because it is made from a complete, balanced feed it provides the right balance of nutrients, so there is no need to limit how much the chickens get. It is safe for them to eat as much as they want.
This is so odd, NatJ!

I’m sitting here reading your words about heated mash. Hubby, across the room, says to me ‘I wonder if the chickens would like warm water added to their pellets tomorrow?’

Um….. hmmmmm…..

We use All Flock type pellets, as we have a rooster as well. Hubby mistakenly bought layer pellets today at TSC. Will we need to take that back?

Back
Top Bottom