would a 5x3 shed work for three chickens?

catecorsaut

Chirping
Apr 18, 2024
Sacromento, CA
i wanted to get a 6x4 shed for my three chickens but i might not have enough space. they have a big run but i wanted to make a shed into a coop for them and connect it. would a 5x3 work?

Attachments

• IMG_6033.png
    IMG_6033.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6032.png
    IMG_6032.png
    657 KB · Views: 14
i planned to tarp up their run when it rains would that work?

Do you really get that much rain in Sacramento? The need for shade is probably far greater than any need to provide shelter from rain. Chickens can handle rain just fine as long as they have somewhere (like the coop) to shelter in as needed.

Do you really get that much rain in Sacramento? The need for shade is probably far greater than any need to provide shelter from rain. Chickens can handle rain just fine as long as they have somewhere (like the coop) to shelter in as needed.
we don’t get a massive amount of rain but it’s enough to make the run a flood a bit. last time i just covered it with shavings but i didn’t know if tarps would be better

we don’t get a massive amount of rain but it’s enough to make the run a flood a bit. last time i just covered it with shavings but i didn’t know if tarps would be better
Gotcha. Yes if you get water stagnating in the area then covering it might help some. Might want to look into adding drainage in the area as well around the perimeter, though the spot looks rather flat. Raising the "floor" of the run through built up litter can also help especially if you get some flooding at the location, but only rarely.

Back
Top Bottom