Would a dog crate work for a broody hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Jan 25, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I am anticipating/hoping for a broody hen come spring. I suspect if it happens it will be one of my dark brahma hens since a couple of them already have a 'tude about me taking their eggs.
    I have seen different size dog crates at Atwoods. One of the smaller ones seems like it would work great for keeping the hen seperate in that while she's brooding. I could tuck it under a shelf in the coop that's basically a no man's (no chicken's?) land. The shavings are never dirty or even disturbed under there, so it's pretty much an area the chickens don't venture into.
    Would the crate work there to keep the hen and chicks safe?

2. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I dont see why it wouldnt work..............

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Yes, they work great. I would cover it with a sheet so she feels secure.
    Be careful of the openings. A chick can squeeze through easily. Some
    cheap plastic chicken wire would stop that.

4. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I use a dog crate with a plastic shelf container in it, like this:

[​IMG]

I've used this set up twice and it works very well with me. After all his hatched, I move momma and babies to the brooder box.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That was one of my concerns. I forgot to mention that these are the metal training crates, not the plastic traveling crates. The openings are pretty small, but we'll wrap it just to be extra safe. Thanks y'all!

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    You'll need a cover for that then, they like privacy in there!

7. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    I've been wondering that, too! I have a large dog crate I use in their coop as ICU, intro for new birds and holding pen for roos to be rehomed. They're used to having family members inside. They hens are OBSESSED with it. They love when they're allowed to go inside.

Colby in KY

8. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    My best friend Freebie has used dog crates for her broodies and they worked fine.

9. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    If the dog crates work to keep them broody, does anyone know how they can also work to break a broody of being broody???

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I don't think it works to keep them broody. It just gives the hen a safe quiet place away from the interference of the other chickens in which to brood and hatch their chicks.
    You can do a search here on BYC about breaking a broody. Try the key words "breaking broody".
    If I remember correctly some people have good luck with taking her off the nest and isolating her in a crate or what-have-you without any nesting materials until she's back to normal. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by