Would a first egg hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by write2caroline, Jan 21, 2011.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I have 7 roo's and 26 pullets. Most of my roos are very good at their "job" so their is a strong possibility that this little first egg is fertile.
    My frizzle chick was killed by a hawk. My daughter is devistated and we have some other eggs too and my bantam cochins are broodie so I was considering placing this egg under the bantam cochins and letting them raise some babies since they seem "bent" on being mommies.

Any thoughts from you folks who are into the whole incubation/broodie thing?

Caroline

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    It never hurts to try.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    First eggs are usually indeed fertile, but I've never had them actually develop myself. I've heard of it being done successfully though. After about 3 eggs, the rest should be fine, although I wouldn't often recommend it. Pullet eggs are pretty small and don't allow the chick much room to develop properly.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

First small eggs can hatch but they are known to be smaller, weaker an less healthy than other chickens there whole life. Something I would avoid under normal situations, but.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by