Would a hawk eat the following?

cassandrapettersson

Emu obsessed
Sep 8, 2022
Sweden
Jack russel terriers
Peacocks
Golden pheasants

I've heard some hawks (or any bird of prey) avoids colorful birds? Because they've never seen them before? Just wondering..

What kind of hawk? There are many different types and sizes.
https://www.animalspot.net/hawk
Hawks generally eat "small" animals so I doubt they would attack a Jack Russell unless it was a pup.
And I'm sorry, but I don't know about the colorful bird question. Logic is telling me that a raptor would be smart enough to know a colorful bird is a good source of food and wouldn't be dissuaded based on appearance, but I haven't read that anywhere before.

What type of hawks do you have? Most would be much too small to take down adult peafowl and dogs and probably won't want to hassle with the pheasant unless desperate. An eagle could take down any of these birds and the dog if it really wanted to but most predators will go for an easy target. A dog will put up a fight and I can see an adult peafowl doing some damage too. No use for the predator to waste energy on something that large and possibly get injured itself. Chicks and puppies on the other hand are small and helpless and can definitely get swooped.

I'm not sure about the whole predators avoid vibrant colored birds. I'd think they would still be a target.

What kind of hawk? There are many different types and sizes.
https://www.animalspot.net/hawk
Hawks generally eat "small" animals so I doubt they would attack a Jack Russell unless it was a pup.
And I'm sorry, but I don't know about the colorful bird question. Logic is telling me that a raptor would be smart enough to know a colorful bird is a good source of food and wouldn't be dissuaded based on appearance, but I haven't read that anywhere before.
I don't know much about the hawks in my area, only like 2...
Which are buzzard hawks and
duvhok2_goranekstrom.jpg

Whatever this fella is, I couldn't get a translation into english so here's a pictureee

I've heard that they don't like black birds because they look like a crow and hawks don't like crows. I haven't tested the theory.
How would that work? Like what breeds?
I wish I could attract crows to the farm though I've never seen a single one out here, only in the city.

I'm not sure about the whole predators avoid vibrant colored birds. I'd think they would still be a target.
I saw a thread here. Someone had gold pheasants and free ranged them, though only the juvenlies or females would get killed by predators.
Someone answered that migration birds of prey avoid them, because they're in a ''new'' country and probably hasn't seen anything like that before, there for avoid it

This could be completely wrong though

How would that work? Like what breeds?
I wish I could attract crows to the farm though I've never seen a single one out here, only in the city.
I would start a thread asking the members if they had any luck with the black chicken theory. I don't free range unattended so I haven't had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom