Would a new silkie be safe in my flock?

Ibabz2

Songster
5 Years
May 14, 2018
I have a small flock of 5 adult hens ranging from 1 -5 years old (1 BO, 3 EE, 1 maran). I'm looking into adding 3 to my flock this spring - a brahma, another buff and potentially a silkie. I was thinking if I raise the 3 newbies together that although they'd be larger, they'd accept the silkie. That way when it comes to integrating the 2 groups she'd have some normal sized friends. Currently there is some bullying in my flock (nothing violent) but just chasing away one easter egger from the treats.

The feed store that sells the silkies didn't recommend that we get one for our flock. Would she be ok? I was hoping that aside from having the 2 other newbies, she could bond with the small easter egger that's currently bullied. If needed, I do have enough space to make a second smaller coop but I wouldn't want the silkie to have to live there alone. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you!

Some people can make it work. However, I would not try it. Especially if you are already having a slight bullying issue. You are about to almost double the size of the flock, and I would assume the coop is staying the same size?

Show some pictures of your set up, with measurements. But I would pass on the silkie, especially only 1 silkie.

Some people can make it work. However, I would not try it. Especially if you are already having a slight bullying issue. You are about to almost double the size of the flock, and I would assume the coop is staying the same size?

Show some pictures of your set up, with measurements. But I would pass on the silkie, especially only 1 silkie.
I agree. Having only one of a type of breed might lead to it being bullied or knocked down to the bottom of the order. Silkies are known for being a gentle breed, so I doubt it would be able to fight back very well. I’m sure the others would do fine with the right conditions.

I have added a Silkie to my flock of 8 ladies though he is a rooster, and it was a bit tough at first. The ladies tried to attack him at first, but he laid down the law soon enough and they are now inseparable! It’s difficult adding new members to flocks, but not impossible, though it all depends on the birds in your flock and the size of the coop. If you really want a Silkie and have enough space for another smaller coop, I would recommend a smaller coop for the Silkie and your Easter Egger. :)

For reference, the flock I’m referring to contains the following breeds:
1 Easter Egger
1 Blue/Red Laced Wyandotte
1 Silver Gray Dorking
1 Norwegian Jaerhon
1 French Black Copper Maran
1 Australorp
1 Black Star
1 Red East India Jungle Fowl
1 Silkie Rooster

This is helpful! My current coop is meant for 8 chickens and has a 9ft x 12ft run attached to it. I know the chickens only sleep and lay in the coop but it does seem small for 8 so we're building a larger one before we get new chicks.

We do really want a silkie so we will build the second coop and hopefully the bullied EE and silkie can live there together!

Many Silkies have a weak spot on the back of the skull called Vaulted Skull. If the Silkie gets pecked there hard enough it could cause severe damage. That said, I have not had problems with it but both my Silkies are male. I thought the one was a hen but then "she" started crowing. 🙄
This site explains vaulted skull.
https://vjppoultry.com/2017/03/21/the-secrets-of-silkie-vaults-at-vjp-poultry-32117/
The she is actually a he moment...I'm very concerned about this happening to me

Back
Top Bottom