1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

would a rat take eggs?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Loretta212, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    so i know its winter time and cold but I havent gotten an egg in 5 days from my hens. I have 4 egg layers and 2 that lay everyday like clockwork. I was out in my yard today and noticed a nice BIG tunnel in my compost pile and my first thought is rat. would a rat steal chicken eggs? I know its gross to have a rat in your yard but it happenes with the compost pile from time to time

2. chigger bait

chigger bait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Jonesborough, Tennessee

All day, every day.

We use to have rats suck eggs in the nest.

Lay traps or bait to get rid of him or he'll have company shortly.

3. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    yuck! ugghh the top of our coop warped a little after the snow and ice i think thats where he is getting in :( thats it lol im usually nice to nature but not when you mess with my ladies

4. chigger bait

chigger bait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Jonesborough, Tennessee
    We use to have bantams and game chickens that free ranged.

They would steal nest out all over the barn, and in the hay bailer.

The day that I saw a rat with a bantam egg in his face, high tailing it across the barn yard, was the day I knew I had a problem.

I made some bait boxes out of plywood, so the chickens and calves couldn't get in them, and got rid of the rat problem.

5. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Ever watched "Charlotte's Web?" Rats will take any food. At all. No exceptions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by