Would a Raven kill a chicken?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by michelle89, Nov 3, 2011.

1. michelle89

michelle89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    I let the girls out this morning and in a matter of thirty minutes my EE was gone, nothing but feathers was left behind! I was just outside and this raven is circling around sqwauking up a storm, maybe its looking for whats left of my chicken? I've had zero problems, now I've lost two chickens. The girls are in lockdown and will always be from now on!!

2. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    I doubt it was the raven. Depending on where you live, it may have been a hawk or an eagle and the raven may be just warning others in the 'hood about it.

3. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Quote:i have many ravens(they are familial) and crows around me. A raven MIGHT take a chick. Doubtful though. Ravens and crows chase off hawks. Ravens a re good to have around. Along with Blue jays. These species tend to chase off hawks, which is the likely culprit of your chicken losses. I agree with lilred. more likely that the raven was warning that a predator was in the area. You need to put some protective cover for your girls to get under!

4. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    I agree with LilRedCV, I hear the the Ravens when the hawks are around.I watch the Raven's chase Hawks as well

5. maysgma

maysgma New Egg

May 31, 2016
    I kept loosing chickens…Just their bowles eaten out. I caught the raven killing it….Then I had the animal cam to back it up again. They keep doing this.
    We have to cover their area…just can't figure out how to connect it to the barn and chicken pen and be able to get the gate open to get into the pasture where the lambs are…Some thinking happening now.

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They will also start crowing their heads off if a ground predator takes a bird. Happens every time a bear or coyote is around my property. They are a great early warning system, and I have yet for a crow or raven to take a chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by