1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would cooling eggs cause such a delay in hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lobzi, Jan 9, 2016.

1. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Glad some are hatching.

With a broody, you need to mark all the eggs under her the first day or two and remove any that get added later so the embryos don't die when she leaves the nest to care for the first hatchlings.
    In nature, a hen will stop laying when she starts to sit, preventing protracted hatches. In a coop, other hens keep contributing to the nest.

2. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Mama and her two early-late hatchlings. Four more to hatch yet.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG] I love this!

4. dowgirl71

dowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Brewer, Maine
    I'm interested in how this late hatch turns out. I had a broody Silkie last month & was unable to break her of it. So I purchased 5 fertile eggs & gave her something to do. Crazy-being December in Maine, but I did. The eggs were set to hatch on January 2nd & 2 of them did. I gave her 2 more days & candled the remaining 3. Two of them had a dark mass in them but one looked more transparent. I couldn't see movement in the two & tried tapping on them but this was my first time hatching. So I wasn't really sure. How obvious is the movement? After 3 days, I took the eggs out but now, after reading this thread, I'm wonderIng if I did the right thing. I thought about calling you, Lazy Gardiner. You've always given me good advice.:)

5. Lobzi

If you can somehow get a very bright light, I recommend it. The light must wake up or surprise the chick so that it flutters. You will be able to see it up near the air cell. It is unmistakable. You will need to hold the light at the fat end of the egg and cover most of the egg with something, I use my hand, so the light doesnt blind you. Anyway, I am so glad I was given this light. It sure saved the lives of it looks like possibly six babies that I might have given up on otherwise.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You've got my number. You could have called me. You know what I'd have told you? I'd have told you to bring me those eggs, and I'd stick them in my bator for you!!!! What are friends for???

7. dowgirl71

dowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Brewer, Maine
    Oh man-I wish I had!! Next time for sure!

8. Lobzi

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another one hatched from the late hatch eggs. Three more "on deck"!

1 person likes this.
  9. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Congratulations!!!! They are super cute!

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Oh wonderful! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by