Would everyone please......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moderators do not have access to PMs, period, and I think I can speak for all of the volunteer moderators when I say we don't want it, either.

Nifty-Chicken himself, the owner of BYC for newer members who don't know, refuses to violate privacy of the members without extremely good cause-examples may be serious harassment issues, to check accusations of spamming by PM or something which is endangering the safety of our minor members. It's actually quite rare that a reason exists to even think about going into a member's inbox.

We take privacy of our members very seriously here, as we do the safety of our younger members.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for that. I assume that if I reported a PM, Mods. would need to see it - otherwise there would be no point in reporting it!

To be honest, I myself don't know how that type of report comes up on this system. It may come up with the body of the PM in the report so no actual need to go into the inbox itself. That is the way other reports come up, with the body of the reported post in the actual report. That is quite different than access to dig around in someone's inbox. All I know is that a moderator cannot access the inbox of any member.

On the old system, there was no official reporting system for PMs at all; members would simply contact a staff member if they were receiving some type of PM they shouldn't and send a copy to us.

Last edited:
Folks, twice today, someone has posted personal PMs sent to them from a member of the staff without permission of that staff member in this thread. That is completely unacceptable, whether it is from another member or from the staff! We could caution you that this is the worst internet etiquette. Privacy is paramount. In addition, we do not discuss the moderation of members in open forum, even if the member is YOU.
hmm.png

Perhaps a rules reminder is in order here:

thumbsup.gif
old.gif

I browse through the topics on the forum and ran across this thread tonight.
Wanted to thank you for the efforts to keep this clean.
My kids are grown, but i find it rather silly for adults to discuss these subjects on a chicken forum...
I am not here to read about politics, religion or other subjects needing to remain private discussion.
I am here to enjoy the company of fine fellow chicken lovers... and am grateful for all the wealth of information.
If i dont agree or believe it, i move on.
Well done to nifty_chicken for an amazing forum!
thumbsup.gif
jumpy.gif

Hope to be part of it for a long time.

We love all these rules here. It helps keep it clean for everyone!! A big Thank-you to the Mods and Nifty.

With that being said, I once start a "bad" thread not even thinking how it could be taken. I quickly got a pm explaining what I did wrong.. Was mortified, I should no better. I think it's great that I was forgivien and am now much more careful when I start or even comment on a thread!

Everyone makes mistakes every now and then, Glad the Mods are here to help us :)

What did I say???? I responded to someone else's post who said their chicken mated with their duck. I simply (jokingly) said what would you call the offspring of that mating (if that were possible). If anyone found the breed names that I came up with offensive, I think the reader would have a dirty mind. I mean, I've known some people who were named Chuck, which is the common nickname for Charles. Also, my mother used to call a naughty child a "little dickens". It has nothing to do with anything sexual or any body parts. It runs along the line of the meanings of the word "gay". It used to be that if something was "bright and gay", that was a good thing! People have twisted the language. If what I stated is considered "inappropriate" then I hesitate to post in here at all. What else might I say that is totally innocent be misconstrued? I'm a 66 year old grandmother. I may use some other "old term" from my generation that used to be innocent and common that has now been twisted into a different meaning that someone may now find offensive, so I will no longer comment. Thank you for letting me know.

This thread is to no one person in particular. Just a reminder for people to keep things clean and respect the rules of the forum. If you got a private message from a moderator, I would PM them to ask any questions you may have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom