would it be ok to let my peacock out now????

I don't agree a box stall/shed/building without outside access is good for rehoming peafowl. They need to have a good view their new place, otherwise the first time they get out of the stall will be 'uh oh, new place!' all over again for them. Box stall or shed WITH wire outside run will be great though.

Also.. wing clipping.. not always recommended, especially if property has only 4-5 foot high fence or even a 6 foot fence with something solid across the top such as chain link fence pole or a wooden bar.. they WILL try to jump up on that.. and they can easily do that, even with wing clipped. So.. if they do jump over to the other side they are completely vulnerable to predators or dogs. Another problem to consider if the yard is divided into dog and bird sections, same thing- peafowl can and are pretty likely to hop over into the dog section.

Peafowl have a big problem with being too curious.. want to see what is on the other side.. so this is something to consider before wing clipping.

Also, IMO his wing clipping method is not recommended. Only need to cut the primaries(on the "hand" part of wing) only. Clipping the secondaries is unnecessary(it is the primaries that is mainly used in powered flight, as in taking off. gaining altitude, etc) and makes the bird extremely ugly and makes for some loss of protection against elements.

Quote:
LOL! I'm sure you were easily able to visualize my eyes bugging out in reaction..
wink.png

That is the other important thing I forgot! Do not force the bird out at all. That will make him much more nervous about being out and more ready to "jump up and fly".

Very glad to help, featheredfriend. I deliberately did not mention wing clipping as it's kinda controversial and not necessarily a good idea, despite it preventing the bird from flying far. If the bird doesn't get spooked they will pretty quickly learn their new area and it won't matter so much if they jump a fence, they will simply fly back in. So it's more of a Catch-22 than it seems at first.

On wing clipping, when I clip birds wings(house birds) I clip only 8 of the primaries leaving the two outside feathers. Then the bird will have the looks of full wing.

As alway you have to keep the predators in you area in mind, before release birds clipped or not.

Noway I can free range birds, with the dog problems i have.

well the only predator problem i have is hawks. **knock of wood** i dont get anymore. but im pretty sure a hawk wouldnt go after a full grown peacock.

Back
Top Bottom