Would it be possible to make a Peafowl/..... Hybrid?

Those are excellent questions Gryphon. At the moment I do not have the time nor space for such a project seeing as I'm in college studying to become a Vet. As for the care taking and genetics, I have taken classes on both subjects which cover the genral concpets but I would need to study the topic more in depth on my own time.

It would be nice if you could share a couple of good articles on genetics in the domestic fowl.

Zazouse is correct, if you want a viable breeding operation of "petite" peacocks, you'd do best breeding like to like, with each generation being smaller than the last. That would take decades to see any results, maybe a lifetime. If you plan on breeding, it's important to have a plan in place for your goals and what you want the end result to be. You'll also have to take into account how much money you're willing to risk with no gurantee of a profit, or even breaking even. Do you have the space and ability to keep several breeding lines? (you can't have just one line, that will lead to genetic defects and early death), Are you able to keep the peas separated so you know who's breeding who for your records? Do you have a solid education in genetics, so you can make educated guesses on what each generation is producing? Are you able to take care of x-number of peas if they fall ill? Can you make difficult decisions on how to cull? If things go badly, will you be financially ruined?
I'm not bashing you at all, these are things EVERY breeder should think about to some extent. They're hard questions, and should be taken seriously.

X2... I can see it now, mini peas with the same sort of genetic issues that plague the miniature horse.

I see the word "had" in there, does this mean you do not have him any more? In a few years I will be looking for such peafowl, so if any of you have something like this, keep me in mind.
he was one of 2 older birds i purchased but passed away suddenly 8 months after i brought him home he was real small compared to what i have raised up here.

Zazouse, you're correct in that every species has genetic issues. The worst ones come out when there is a small breeding pool though, and that's usually due to human interference. (breeding for a pretty color, size, shape, etc.) You're also correct in that humans are nowhere close to being exempt from genetic issues, and inbreeding exacerbates the problem by huge amounts. http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2009/04/inbreeding-the-downfall-of-the-spanish-hapsburgs/ Is a link about the Hapsburgs, a widely known case of inbreeding in a royal family over generations.

In any case, whether you're contemplating hybridization (which CAN be done quite well with some species which results in "hybrid vigor", where the offspring is even more robust than either of the parents) or when breeding within the species to engender certain traits, lots of research needs to be done. Since the original poster is training for a veterinary career (congratulations, by the way!) they're well on their way to being bombarded with far more information than they could ever hope for.

X3 health should be the main issue with any breeding.
A lot of the problems the mini horse has is due to poor breeding practices. The ones that should have been culled ( not necessarily killed, just not bred) were allowed to be bred.
Zazouse, you're correct in that every species has genetic issues. The worst ones come out when there is a small breeding pool though, and that's usually due to human interference. (breeding for a pretty color, size, shape, etc.) You're also correct in that humans are nowhere close to being exempt from genetic issues, and inbreeding exacerbates the problem by huge amounts. http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2009/04/inbreeding-the-downfall-of-the-spanish-hapsburgs/ Is a link about the Hapsburgs, a widely known case of inbreeding in a royal family over generations.

In any case, whether you're contemplating hybridization (which CAN be done quite well with some species which results in "hybrid vigor", where the offspring is even more robust than either of the parents) or when breeding within the species to engender certain traits, lots of research needs to be done. Since the original poster is training for a veterinary career (congratulations, by the way!) they're well on their way to being bombarded with far more information than they could ever hope for.
hybrid vigor comes from crossing 2 closely bred lines, usually of the same species. Trying to come up with a strain of "miniature" peas would be a lifetime ( if not several) commitment that a profit motive wouldn't support. Thanks for the link, its fascinating.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom