Would it be wise to order quail eggs during winter?

Pullet Press

Crowing
Aug 7, 2020
Texas
I've been wanting to hatch and raise quail for a while now. I'm wanting to order my quail eggs from Purely Poultry (in WI) and Stromberg's Hatchery(?)(in MN) now that they're starting to ship. Would it be prudent to order them when it's warmer, or would they still probably hatch if I ordered them to come now? I live in TX and I'm planning on using a 9 to 12-CHICKEN egg Magicfly incubator if that makes a difference.
BTW, they're Celadon, Button, and Tuxedo Coturnix quail.

Last edited:
A lot of eggs will be going to waste if you order from them and have that small of an incubator. I'm sure you can find local eggs. Plus they'll either freeze during shipping or possibly start developing depending on if a heat source is in the package or not

I'm in Texas and I've order quail eggs from Myshire during the winter with zero issues.

You know celadon are not a breed right?

I know now. (I'm new to quail. Very new.)
Celadon is a color of egg.
It is not a specific color of coturnix quail.

Do not pay a lot for birds that may or may not lay a celadon egg. Wait until you learn more about quail.
Also know that you can not keep coturnix and buttons together.

Celadon is a color of egg.
It is not a specific color of coturnix quail.

Do not pay a lot for birds that may or may not lay a celadon egg. Wait until you learn more about quail.
Also know that you can not keep coturnix and buttons together.
Thanks for the info, I still need to research them.

Fortunately, yes, I do know that. I'm planning on having separate pens for the coturnix and buttons.

Back
Top Bottom