** Would it hurt?**

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tripp16, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok so I'm thinking about putting my bantam roo in with my standard breeds. Would he try an mate with them? That's what I'm wanting. Is that a bad idea? Would my girls let him??

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    You dont say that you have another roo, so I'm guessing not. Have they had any interaction of any kind--pens right next to each other, etc?
    Short answer is, yes he will breed them. He doesn't care that they are full size & he's not...the question is...how stressfull will it be on your hens when you introduce this little guy?

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:The answers are Yes. No. and Maybe. [​IMG]

There is very little in this world that will stop a roo from trying to romance hens. As long as he's healthy, he'll be after them. Now, depending on how inventive the little guy is, the logistics might prove difficult for successful matings.

There is a really good thread in the Stories forum called Barbara the Barred Rock. Barbara is standard sized, but for most of the thread she has a 'chicken-man' named Leroy. Leroy is a little bantam with a taste for the big girls, and apparently provides his owner with no end of entertainment with his persuit of them. He's an inventive little guy, so his favorite method is to lie in ambush until one of his big ladies sits down in a dusting hole, and then he takes advantage of their height reduction. It's a real riot to read about, definitely take a look at it.

Now, as to whether or not your girls would be amused by this, or allow it, is entirely dependant on their personality. Most chicken ladies won't mind, but you may have one or two prudes; especially if they're very young.

Hope that helps! I'm rooting for your little guy!

4. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:The answers are Yes. No. and Maybe. [​IMG]

There is very little in this world that will stop a roo from trying to romance hens. As long as he's healthy, he'll be after them. Now, depending on how inventive the little guy is, the logistics might prove difficult for successful matings.

There is a really good thread in the Stories forum called Barbara the Barred Rock. Barbara is standard sized, but for most of the thread she has a 'chicken-man' named Leroy. Leroy is a little bantam with a taste for the big girls, and apparently provides his owner with no end of entertainment with his persuit of them. He's an inventive little guy, so his favorite method is to lie in ambush until one of his big ladies sits down in a dusting hole, and then he takes advantage of their height reduction. It's a real riot to read about, definitely take a look at it.

Now, as to whether or not your girls would be amused by this, or allow it, is entirely dependant on their personality. Most chicken ladies won't mind, but you may have one or two prudes; especially if they're very young.

Hope that helps! I'm rooting for your little guy!

That story sounds hilarious!

My girls just started laying about a month ago and anytime I though or get behind them thru squat. So I thought hey why not get some bantam/ standard breed babies! Lol

5. dixiebeast

dixiebeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    I introduced my banty roo to my big girls because he worked soooo hard at his dance for them( he ignores his banty hens)....thought it would be funny but he went after my RIR and she pecked his comb...blood went everywhere...now he just does his dance through the wire...he is getting quite good at it! LOL I say give it a try just be ready for any drama and maybe monitor close for a while and take him out when you cant watch! GOOD LUCK

6. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Good idea! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by