Would like opinions on coop size

Znarf

Chirping
Sep 6, 2020
Western Europe
I really liked the idea of the Nestera coop made out of recycled plastic and because I wanted a coop that was easy to move, I ordered one.
I'm loving the design and I'm sure it is super easy to clean, however it turned out to be smaller than I anticipated.

I have a small flock of 4 Orpingtons and 1 Brahma and I'm not convinced they will love the new coop. Nestera has a marketing picture with an Orpington chicken next to the coop but now I'm thinking this might be a bantam :rolleyes:.
This is the largest coop Nestera makes. I'm going to make the roosting bars wider because these are way too narrow.

The coop is advertised as being suitable for 8 large hens. The chickens free range during the day.
I put one of the Orpingtons inside and would love to get some opinions on the size!

Attachments

• IMG_2529.jpeg
    IMG_2529.jpeg
    476.6 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_2528.jpeg
    IMG_2528.jpeg
    547.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2527.jpeg
    IMG_2527.jpeg
    397.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2526.jpeg
    IMG_2526.jpeg
    984.1 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I think you are right about widening the roosting bars and about this coop not being large enough for eight hens. Coop manufacturers often overestimate the number. Could eight hens fit in it? Sure. But could they freely move around? Not so sure.

I looked up the Nestera website which seems to indicates a minimum of one square foot per chicken. I have always thought the minimum was four square foot per bird. Maybe this will work okay if your girls are only going to sleep in the coop and have plenty of outdoor access.

I do appreciate that the company uses recycled plastic!

I'm sorry, but you are right that this coop appears to be far too small. :(

Manufacturers always exaggerate their numbers -- basing them on legal minimums for commercial chickens rather than sound practice for backyard chickenkeepers. 😡

Additionally, those roosts are probably too narrow for comfort and are mounted too low. Roosts should be mounted above the nests or the birds will probably end up sleeping in the nests.

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
4 hens
  • 16 square feet in the coop. 4'x4' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber.
  • 4 feet of roost
  • 40 square feet in the run. 4'x10' or 5'x8'. 6'x6' is a bit too small, 6'x8' is more generous and easier to build than 5'x8'.
  • 4 square feet of ventilation. A 2'x2' window is theoretically enough, but in practice doesn't create any air FLOW so better to spread the venting around (and even better to exceed the minimums, especially in warm climates).
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
6 hens
  • 24 square feet in the coop. 4'x6' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber. If you can't walk into it, put the access door in the middle of the long side to make sure you can reach all areas of the coop because a stubborn chicken WILL press itself into/lay an egg in the back corner where you can't reach.
  • 6 feet of roost
  • 60 square feet in the run. 6'x10' or 8'x8'.
  • 6 square feet of ventilation.
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice

I returned the coop. It's a shame because the coop does look good and is very well built. I think it would be especially great for bantams. Nestera's customer support was very friendly and helpful too.

Just to give others who might be considering buying this coop an idea about the size, I put all my girls in it and took some pictures. This coop was clearly not designed for Orpingtons. Maria, the molting Brahma, does fit a lot better.

Edit: added three more pictures

Attachments

• IMG_1431.jpeg
    IMG_1431.jpeg
    710.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1429.jpeg
    IMG_1429.jpeg
    730.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2533.jpeg
    IMG_2533.jpeg
    408.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2534.jpeg
    IMG_2534.jpeg
    537 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2539.jpeg
    IMG_2539.jpeg
    405.5 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I returned the coop. It's a shame because the coop does look good and is very well built. I think it would be especially great for bantams. Nestera's customer support was very friendly and helpful too.

Just to give others who might be considering buying this coop an idea about the size, I put all my girls in it and took some pictures. This coop was clearly not designed for Orpingtons. Maria, the molting Brahma, does fit al lot better.
I am glad that you got great customer service when you decided to return it. The pictures you took of your girls in it is one of the best demonstrations I have seen. People often ask how many will fit. The pictures are worth a thousand words. Thank you for your extremely informative post.

Last edited:

Just to give others who might be considering buying this coop an idea about the size, I put all my girls in it and took some pictures. This coop was clearly not designed for Orpingtons. Maria, the molting Brahma, does fit al lot better.

Great photos.

They really demonstrate how badly exagerated the the manufacturers' claims are.

Just to give others who might be considering buying this coop an idea about the size, I put all my girls in it and took some pictures. This coop was clearly not designed for Orpingtons. Maria, the molting Brahma, does fit a lot better.

Edit: added three more pictures
Oh my. Is this the coop?
https://nestera.us/products/chicken-coop

Back
Top Bottom