Would like to build my own...

street voice

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 25, 2012
I don't know the first thing about quail pens, brooders, or incubators. I am looking for information or suggestions on where to get good plans for home built pens and incubators. I have a friend on disability and he cannot afford new. I would like to surprise hime with one of each.

What makes a good pen? I have seen many pics, but still have questions.

What makes a good incubator?

Any and all help will be most appreciated.

Thank you.

For a pen, you need something that is draft proof, has cover from the rain, and is predator proof.

For an incubator, just buy one. After buying supplies to build and insulate the incubator, thermostat, heating element, temp controller, humidity gage, etc, you will have spent way more than you could get a decent bator for. Hovabator base models go for $55, the good ones are $100.

Thank you for replying. I find your information quite helpful. I would like to comment if I may. I was hoping for a link to, or a website, where I can download or purchase plans for pens. As for the incubator? I am sure they can be bought in a moderate price range, but buying one for my friend is not the same as building one. It is not the cost factor here, but the idea of a hand built gift.

Thank you

Last edited:
Here is a pic of mine pretty straight forward. 2x4's, chicken wire and some corrugated roof panels. It's cold and rainy now so I have a couple 54 gallon Rubbermaid totes flipped upside down with holes cut in the side for some shelter. If you go the Rubbermaid route make sure you put a couple holes in the top to let air circulate.

Here is a pic of mine pretty straight forward. 2x4's, chicken wire and some corrugated roof panels. It's cold and rainy now so I have a couple 54 gallon Rubbermaid totes flipped upside down with holes cut in the side for some shelter. If you go the Rubbermaid route make sure you put a couple holes in the top to let air circulate.

I have Coturnix. The pen is 8x8x6 tall with about 40 of them living in there. I'm not sure about the Gambels and their space requirement. But I'm sure if you put branches in an places for them to hide they'd be fine.

Back
Top Bottom