would like to have some pigeons i think.

zazouse

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Southeast texas
I owned one peigeon when i was a kid,found her injured in the woods.
Anyway,i think i might like some here but don't know how they would work out so i have some questions.

1) what is a good breed to have around a farm?
2) do they carry any diseases or can they get any disease from my other birds,i have guineas,peafowl,geese and chickens that free range together.
3)i want them to be loose in the daytime,will they be watchfull of hawks? will they fly under cover if the other flocks of birds sound the alarms ?
4) would i need to start out with a pair and raise the babies or would the adults stay around after a period of time being penned?

I am sure i will have more questions but will ask them as i go.
Oh and i live on 100 acres and have no close neighbors.

zazouse, You are indeed blessed to have 100 acres! Privacy is nice and no neighbors to complain about crowing roos. As far as pigeons- (1) Depends on what you intend to do with them, some of the larger breeds are bred for eating purposes, the so-called performing breeds( rollers and tumblers and racing homers and such) are for their acrobatics and flying abilities) and some are just pretty to look at and enjoy. (2) Pigeons can and do have diseases like other birds but if you start with healthy stock should not be a concern. My pigeons share a wire covered fly-pen with my chickens but have separate living area. They get along just fine. (3) Pigeons that are just left to free range are an open invitation to become hawk snacks, same as feral pigeons some will survive and some won't. They will do much better to be confined and allowed some liberty when you can supervise them. (4) Most all breeds can be re-homed to stay, 'specially after they raise some babies and are settled there. Exception is racing homers, grown birds if let loose will return to their original home or make every effort to do so. Hope this helps answer your questions. Pigeons are fun and easy to raise so enjoy some!

Back
Top Bottom