Would like to raise 3 different kinds of quality egg layers.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dustponds10, Jun 3, 2011.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Well I am looking to get a few different kinds of birds that lay really well, I am trying to find some that arent seen every day so that I can have a one of a kind chicken coop. I will be keeping them seperate during the breeding season and Roosters will remain in the pens when not breeding. Here are two of my thoughts and I am not sure on teh other one. If you could please recommend what you have that is uncommon but lays regularly it would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Lavendure Orpingtons
    Leg hor's (not the regulars I saw a person on here with some really uncommon leghorns that were black and white I would like those)
    3 I am unsure of and need some suggestions. Thanks

2. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    My Easter Eggers lay reliably - nice large green eggs.

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I think the leghorns you are talking about are exchequer leghorns. They are very pretty. Since they lay white eggs, and orps lay brown, maybe you should get americaunas or EE's so you can have green or blue eggs and a pretty egg basket along with a pretty flock.

4. Taylorhens

Taylorhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX
    Yup, I'd say go with the Easter Eggers or Ameraucanas. Or you could do Marans, they come in some pretty colors and lay the very dark brown eggs, sometimes they're called chocolate eggers. And if you cross your marans and your EEs/Ameraucanas I believe you get Oliver Eggers!

5. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Well, that woudl be pretty easy I would only have to get the leghorns and the the Lavendures. I already have some Americanas. Where would I find the Leghorns? I searched on here adn didnt see them but I dont know if I looked hard enough.

6. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    any one know where to get the fancy leg horns

7. Drover

Drover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    I belive they have some "silver leghorns" on murray mcmurray hatchery... they are black and white and VERY pretty! [​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd check out McMurray as well and they have Red Leghorns... very rare.Red Leghorns

Buy extras and Craigs list the rest

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by