Would like to refine my flock, help needed

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Fiddlehead, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Songster

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    Hi! We have been raising chickens for about a year now and would like to refine our flock. I have a 2 folded question, if you all don't mind helping me out! First, I would like to concentrate on silikies, can I have some references for good show quality blood lines? I live in Mass and am having a hard time finding silkie breeders with good, show quality blood lines. What are the big names in the silkie breeders circle? And just so you know, I do not wish to sell or make money off my chickens, I am purely just in love with silkies and drool when I see these beautiful birds!! I have hatchery silkies, and much to my dismay, they pale in comparison to what I have seen on here. I would be willing to pay for S&H, so they need not be local.

The second part of my question, is that I am also interested in polish chickens. Are polish and silkies generally good living partners? My main interest is silkies, but I would love a good reference so that I may get a couple polish hens. Thanks so much!

Val

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  2. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Songster

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I don't know about silkie breeders where you are. But, silkies can get along with any breed of chicken-------I have some in with my standard-size chickens and they are just fine.

3. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Check the silkie thread here.

4. GarlicEater

GarlicEater Songster

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    I wuz gonna say, I gave my gals yoghurt today and they liked it, now I need to stop listening to AM radio talk and put up an FM antenna and keep that raydeeder stuck on a classical station so they'll hear that all day (and a good part of the night) that ought to be a good start to making 'em more refined.

Oh, and they were NOT impressed by icky, wiggly, earthworms today, someone's already done been refinin' 'em!

5. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Songster

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    LOL, thanks for the advice garlic!! You sure do like to talk!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: