Would love ideas/thoughts on my in progress shed coop!

It could be the angle of the pictures, but have you done a chicken fit check, and a chicken butt fit check? Like, if you take a full size chicken and place her / him on the roost, where would the poop fall while the chicken was standing or sitting/asleep? Check with the chicken facing both ways. Make sure that poop location is at least a few inches inside the edge of your poop board, and there's no way for them to poop on each other. Also, when chickens are standing/sitting on both roosts, can they reach over or over and down and peck each other? Cause you really don't want them to be able to do that. Bullying on the roost is a big thing for many flocks, and can create issues.

You may find you need to space those roosts farther apart, and it can decrease contention within the flock if they're both at the same level.

My roost is shaped like a U, but horizontal. The birds at the corner bends peck each other unmercifully. I'm working on getting one long roost put up so the ones who want to peck have less access to victims, and the victims can move away (often they don't, crazy birds).

When you have all mature birds, spacing the roosts closer to the poop board can discourage hens from roosting directly on it, instead of on the roost, if they can't fit under the roost, they're less likely to get pooped on.

When you have pullets or chicks, they may try to roost on the poop board if they're not given a better options separated from the main flock, so be prepared for that.

I love your shed and am extremely jealous!!! It looks gorgeous!!!
Sorry it took so long to reply to this. I had to bribe a couple of my girls to test it out! 😂 these are my models, Dolly and Jinx.
E2C355AB-6820-4A2A-B5E6-7D3BDF2186B7.jpeg
98EABCA1-15A9-4FCA-8CD1-AFA3A5901732.jpeg
9CAD052D-05B9-423F-BA28-8FA2A122EFCF.jpeg
B6DE110E-5F4D-4B45-95F6-B11D11A387E4.jpeg
1CDFF41B-C143-48B2-BFCB-7645F11E17AB.jpeg
F0DAE28F-69A3-4CB4-AA44-043DD52BA32F.jpeg

Woof. I probably should’ve made this a little bigger. Probably going to have a poopy window 🫠

660D738C-5ADC-4FF3-8AF7-3431BE9953B2.jpeg

This is the measurement from bottom roost bar to edge of poop deck.

For the poopy window - Clear acrylic sheets are sold at the hardware store. You can put one partially over the window as a sort of baffle and poo shield. You could machine holes on the sides that would slot onto the screws, so you've slide it up a tad, then remove.

Where do you think the poop will fall on the front? Might fall inside the poop box, have to see...

I used the same size wood for our poo box frame and the chickens roosted on it at night. I had to put another 2x4 with the wide side up for them. I'm not saying yours will do the same, but be prepared for them to do the exact opposite of what you planned 😅

FB33C3D5-1E49-4A2A-98AB-FE06B14D9C0D.jpeg

Haven’t done too much work on the coop this month so far, as my dad was away in Ohio. But we did get to make these doors. They can be completely taken out so it’ll be more floor space when there isn’t a chicken who needs to be separated.
3BE2544C-C57F-4241-84B3-A8DD1AE49DDE.jpeg

We also put up a shelf in the storage
area. Can’t wait to have all their stuff right there instead of walking all the way back to the house.
818B3E40-9D56-4A57-87F1-A84CA89C0C6A.jpeg

Added a lip around the edge to keep bedding in. Wasn’t sure if i was going to use sand in here or not at the time. I think I’m going to give hemp a go. I’ve never used it before but I’ll give it a try.

I just got the hardware + cord to make pulley doors and hardware cloth for the partition yesterday. We are coming down the homestretch. I’m getting so excited to move them in soon :) although it feels like there is still SO MUCH left to do!

View attachment 3616423
Haven’t done too much work on the coop this month so far, as my dad was away in Ohio. But we did get to make these doors. They can be completely taken out so it’ll be more floor space when there isn’t a chicken who needs to be separated.
View attachment 3616424

We also put up a shelf in the storage
area. Can’t wait to have all their stuff right there instead of walking all the way back to the house.
View attachment 3616429
Added a lip around the edge to keep bedding in. Wasn’t sure if i was going to use sand in here or not at the time. I think I’m going to give hemp a go. I’ve never used it before but I’ll give it a try.

I just got the hardware + cord to make pulley doors and hardware cloth for the partition yesterday. We are coming down the homestretch. I’m getting so excited to move them in soon :) although it feels like there is still SO MUCH left to do!
You’re on the home stretch now and doing a really great job 👏. It’s pretty cool that you and your dad are doing this together - my 3-1/2 year old granddaughter visits me in the shop but not much gets done after that! Keep up the amazing work and I’ll hafta hire you…

I got home from work yesterday and my dad had already started on the coop!
He got the hardware cloth up and put a seal on my front doors (not pictured) so no drafts will come through.
F42E4602-C36F-4B56-8487-F28A24B82461.jpeg

B1B9E370-4C3C-4042-BCE3-020BF68B92E6.jpeg
A83800A2-8BBA-4DA3-A0E8-758FB54FF181.jpeg

We made the cuts and got the pulley doors in.
251B13BE-47E8-4B11-A75E-2D7A6CF24E7D.jpeg

We have ropes attached to each door and can be pulled from the outside to open it. This rope is temporary, he couldn’t find his good rope at the time. There is also door seal at the bottom of each pulley door.
600EF24D-EC2C-48FF-9A17-1E45A4504AED.jpeg

He also put in this vent at the top while I was at work. We are going to get a second one for the other side. We forgot that middle bar was there haha.
709673D2-BE47-4F54-9655-052D4C657834.jpeg

96DEC3AB-8AA0-41A3-9F93-47E5E1D8374A.jpeg

Last thing we did was put up my chicken sign 🙂

Next thing is to go to Lowe’s for the 3rd time to get another gallon of paint 😂
Maybe I’ll add some pops of color to the pulley doors so it doesn’t look so clinical.

A2D7A5A1-ACAE-455D-BD17-C7E990923CB4.jpeg
C21526BD-D995-4815-BE78-9646D15879AA.jpeg

What do you think of this ramp? I had one of my hens try it out and she had no issues using the stairs. My dad built this while I was at work and I’m not sure how I feel about it. I think the ladder part should move closer to the window and cut those bars in the middle of the floor back. I think a chicken could probably hurt themselves jumping down from the roosts. Could repurpose the higher bar for in front of the nesting boxes.

Back
Top Bottom