Would Love input on this!!!!

Chrissy D

Chirping
Feb 3, 2021
Magnolia, TX
I have 20 birds, some are still pullets and my largest original group turned hens today. Since Monday I have one hen, a WelSummer, that is displaying out of the ordinary behavior. Everyone else is 100%. I was out of town last weekend arriving home this past Monday and noticed her being a little stand offish and quiet. She is a WelSummer, quiet is not in her nature. I immediately removed her from the flock to my studio, another building on my homestead. She is laying, eating normally, not very interested in drinking much, but the rest of my flock has reduced water consumption too as we are finally below 96degrees for the last few days. No discharge, no labored breathing, eyes bright and clear, vent in tact, no worms, as I just had a collective float done at the lab. No mites, no fleas, clean, no signs of trauma, no weight loss and mostly alert. But when I watch her every few minutes she bows her head and closes her eyes for awhile. When she lays down tail is upright always. After 3 nights of isolation and no further symptoms I placed her back in the run this am with all the girls, she quickly isolated herself and laid down with eyes closed. I immediately took her back out. She is now in my grow out pen, alone away from the rest of the flock but can hear and see them across in their big run. (I think being isolated entirely seemed to make her a bit neurotic). She is energetic to eat, is scratching and pecking anything she can find, but then turn around a few minutes later and she is sitting or standing head down eyes closed. I am feeding her scrambled eggs along with her feed, greens and bsf, vitamins in water.
What am I missing??????

On another note.... could she safely (biomedical reasons) be housed in the same coop in my brooder area that is attached to that grow out pen, or should I continue to keep her completely in a different area? The brooder area is separated from the coop area but under the same roof.

Thanks So Much!

I have 20 birds, some are still pullets and my largest original group turned hens today. Since Monday I have one hen, a WelSummer, that is displaying out of the ordinary behavior. Everyone else is 100%. I was out of town last weekend arriving home this past Monday and noticed her being a little stand offish and quiet. She is a WelSummer, quiet is not in her nature. I immediately removed her from the flock to my studio, another building on my homestead. She is laying, eating normally, not very interested in drinking much, but the rest of my flock has reduced water consumption too as we are finally below 96degrees for the last few days. No discharge, no labored breathing, eyes bright and clear, vent in tact, no worms, as I just had a collective float done at the lab. No mites, no fleas, clean, no signs of trauma, no weight loss and mostly alert. But when I watch her every few minutes she bows her head and closes her eyes for awhile. When she lays down tail is upright always. After 3 nights of isolation and no further symptoms I placed her back in the run this am with all the girls, she quickly isolated herself and laid down with eyes closed. I immediately took her back out. She is now in my grow out pen, alone away from the rest of the flock but can hear and see them across in their big run. (I think being isolated entirely seemed to make her a bit neurotic). She is energetic to eat, is scratching and pecking anything she can find, but then turn around a few minutes later and she is sitting or standing head down eyes closed. I am feeding her scrambled eggs along with her feed, greens and bsf, vitamins in water.
What am I missing??????

On another note.... could she safely (biomedical reasons) be housed in the same coop in my brooder area that is attached to that grow out pen, or should I continue to keep her completely in a different area? The brooder area is separated from the coop area but under the same roof.

Thanks So Much!
@Wyorp Rock

Not trying to give "expert" info, but how old is she? She may have a reproductive issue, since everything else checks out.

@Wyorp Rock

Not trying to give "expert" info, but how old is she? She may have a reproductive issue, since everything else checks out.
Appreciate the input. @Wyorp Rock helped me through my young pullets reproductive issues awhile back. That girl is doing great but only lays once every other month or so now. This chicken I am talking about here just turned a year today! She is laying regularly. But I realize how utterly strange chickens are now.

Last edited:
Appreciate the input. You helped me through my young pullets reproductive issues awhile back. That girl is doing great but only lays once every other month or so now. This chicken I am talking about here just turned a year today! She is laying regularly. But I realize how utterly strange chickens are now.
I helped you?? I believe it was Eggcessive and Wyorp Rock. They are the experts here.

I had a year old hen die of reproductive issues. Wait for Wyorp Rock to give some info.

I helped you?? I believe it was Eggcessive and Wyorp Rock. They are the experts here.

I had a year old hen die of reproductive issues. Wait for Wyorp Rock to give some info.
Oh yes it was Wyorp Rock that helped... I didn't see this was coming from someone else at first! Yes I am always happy to have those two extremely knowledgable chicken keepers on my side. They have both helped me through my first year of tendering...

I think you've covered most of it, the only thing I don't see mentioned is whether her crop is emptying completely overnight.

She's a year old, when you checked her over did you happen to notice if she's got pin feathers coming in? Maybe a light molt.
Her crop is emptying…. I did not even think of checking for pin feathers. I learn every day. I will give her a good once over this afternoon. I have seen many feathers, much more than usual in the run recently. It is that time. Thank you. If this is the case I will let her back in with her sisters. It makes sense too if she is going through a molt she doesn’t want to be near anyone. She is getting back to fussing and screaming at me because she is not happy…. A good sign, I would think, of feeling better.

Attachments

• 0A12D409-ADCB-44A1-AF76-ECA71FB9AB99.jpeg
    0A12D409-ADCB-44A1-AF76-ECA71FB9AB99.jpeg
    792.3 KB · Views: 3
Her crop is emptying…. I did not even think of checking for pin feathers. I learn every day. I will give her a good once over this afternoon. I have seen many feathers, much more than usual in the run recently. It is that time. Thank you. If this is the case I will let her back in with her sisters. It makes sense too if she is going through a molt she doesn’t want to be near anyone. She is getting back to fussing and screaming at me because she is not happy…. A good sign, I would think, of feeling better.
I have a Welsummer too and they are anything but quiet, lol, glad your lady is feeling better!

I have a Welsummer too and they are anything but quiet, lol, glad your lady is feeling better!
Loudest chickens ever. Between her and my speckled Sussex, I swear they get into screaming matches to see who can be loudest. 😝. She is still feeling tired but much better. She free ranged for an hour then went to take a dirt bath. Can’t be feeling that bad. 🙏🏻🤞🏻❤️

I think you've covered most of it, the only thing I don't see mentioned is whether her crop is emptying completely overnight.

She's a year old, when you checked her over did you happen to notice if she's got pin feathers coming in? Maybe a light molt.
I checked no pin feathers but she does have some new very small down feathers. ??? I put her back in with the rest of the girls. She seems to be getting more energy back. She free ranged and dirt bathed this evening. Thank you for tour input. Always grateful for your expertise.

Back
Top Bottom