Would meat chickens lay eggs if mated?

Quavo

Songster
Apr 10, 2023
I have a brahma and she is meat chicken, I'm wondering if she doesn't lay eggs. She will if she gets mated?

Brahmas are Duel Purpose breeds. Meaning meat, & eggs.

All chickens lay at a certain age, between 5-6 months on average, but some later on. Chickens don't need to be mated to lay eggs.

Oh ok, my brother said brahma are meat chickens and that they don't lay eggs. But I've seen her broody many time

Oh ok, my brother said brahma are meat chickens and that they don't lay eggs. But I've seen her broody many time
Well your brother has been misinformed. All chickens lay eggs, some more than others. Meat chickens typically lay less eggs then a laying hen but they still lay.

You've seen her sit on cluches of eggs and try to hatch them for 3 weeks?

Whomever provided your brother an education did him a disservice. How would there be new Brahma if old Brahma didn't lay eggs?

All the Brahma are gone from my flock, but they mostly started laying around month seven, and in their first year, they laid about 3 eggs every five days, mostly medium or medium large, and generally some tone of cream. They also took forever to put on size - they looked big, but didn't weigh it.

Love the pattern, not in love with almost everything else about them.

Back
Top Bottom