Would someone please explain this.... a crowing HEN?

countrygirl4513

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 14, 2007
Portland TN
One of my Cochin hens thinks she is a roo!!! She tries to crow! She strains that neck and lets out the most pitiful crow like sound. She's been doing this for a year now. I don't know what her deal is. She lays eggs... does all that hen stuff. But then when the men sound off she joins in too. It is the most irritating sound. And it looks like it's painful to her. Anybody got any ideas?

Some hens, especially in the abscense of a roo, will take on roo behaviors and become the "leader" of the flock. Crowing hens are relatively common. Not REAL common, but enough you dont have to worry.

From what I hear, its common for a dominate hen to behave like a rooster- crowing and all, when there is no rooster around, usually. But it sounds like you have roo's, so..???

Maybe just a dominate hen asserting herself amoungst the boys?
hu.gif
I think its cute when they do that, but I dont think it hurts them. Some hens will even go so far as to grow bigger combs and wattles!

That's the strange thing... she's not dominant in the flock. I know that some hens will do so like you said, but she is at the bottom of the pecking order. I can only say she must be a dreamer.

I'm from the south and I remember a saying: "A whistlin' woman and a crowin' hen always come to a no good end". Is that stupid or what....

Back
Top Bottom