Would there be any problems?

Reformed

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
Okay so we have a tom cat and he had a lady friend which he did have a few litters with but last year she died
but she had a litter a bit before and the cat we have from that litter is being chased by her mothers mate (our tom cat) and he is trying to mate with her but we think that the female that we have might be his daughter. so to cut through the fat could there be any genetic problems if he is successful?

I think the previous posters were being very kind but it doesn't seem that you are getting their point. It does not matter if they are related or not, they have no business reproducing. There are literally millions of unwanted cats and kittens euthanized each year because of irresponsible owners who do not spay an neuter their animals. Please stop contributing to this problem. There are far too many healthy cats that are unable to be placed, the last thing the world needs are kittens that have a high likelihood to be born with health issues. Neuter the male that you can catch immediately. Get a trap, catch the female, and have her spayed as soon as possible. It is what responsible pet owners do.

Last edited:
I agree with the other posters. It is very important that people alter their cats if they allow them outside. There are low cost clinics and have a heart traps work very well to catch feral animals. Spay/neuter is one of the easiest surgeries to do and one of the most effective to prevent unwanted babies.

If you can't afford to alter the cats then unfortunately I suggest having them euthanized. I hate seeing it happen, but it prevents a lot of other unhappy animals in the future.

FIV and feline leukemia are very real and very serious problems. It causes a lot of heart ache for owners and a lot of problems for the cats and it is very easily spread to other cats.

It would definitely be easier to get them fixed now (especially since the young female is probably already pregnant, but spaying will fix that too) than waiting and having many more cats that will need fixing. Also, at the same time have the vet give a rabies shot. They are good for three years.

Yes, there is a high probability of genetic problems or deformities, preposition to illness, when allowing cats to inbreed to such a close degree.
Having the tom cat nuetered would fix that problem.

Yes, there is a high probability of genetic problems or deformities, preposition to illness, when allowing cats to inbreed to such a close degree.
Having the tom cat nuetered would fix that problem.
Yeah but his mate was kinda of wild and got around and female cats are not always faithful, so it might not even be his offspring but there is always a chance so that is what I am worried about. and also he is quite a bit bigger than her and he can out run her and catch and well you know do what tom cats do
roll.png

Last edited:
as said, have both of them fixed. Period. It's not like there are a shortage of barn cats anywhere in the US.

well the problem is that the female is rather wild and only lets us get so close.
And also another peculiar thing is the female is very small almost like a dwarf cat and she was just a little twerp when her mother died, so is it possible for her to have been the runt or not completely weaned and she just did not get enough milk?
or is she just small by nature?

Last edited:
If you can catch both of them, your veterinarian, being professionals, can handle spaying and neutering them both. If the female cat is dwarfed as you've described, it would be unhealthy for her to have a litter of kittens and if she did give live birth to kittens, it's uncertain if they would live. The best thing for both parties is spaying and neutering.
smile.png

If you can catch both of them, your veterinarian, being professionals, can handle spaying and neutering them both. If the female cat is dwarfed as you've described, it would be unhealthy for her to have a litter of kittens and if she did give live birth to kittens, it's uncertain if they would live. The best thing for both parties is spaying and neutering.
smile.png
Well our tom cat is very laid back so no problem catching him
smile.png

But then there is the female and I don't even know if the are related, and I don't know if she is completely developed (if you know what I mean)
But her mom was somewhat small but not as small as she is, and she eats just fine and our tom cat is about three times her size so that is why it is so easy for him to catch her
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom