Would these be Easter Eggers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NewOldMotherHen, Jun 20, 2011.

1. NewOldMotherHen

NewOldMotherHen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    They are eight weeks old. They both have pretty white legs. One of them is always the first to come see what's happening. Hoping it's not a rooster. Are they still too young to know what gender they are?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Looks like Speckled Sussex to me. Or if they dont have wattles, Orloffs. Uncertain about the combs to indicate sex but I'm leaning more to pullets than cockerals.

I could be wrong.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Speckled Sussex! Both pullets, I think.

4. NewOldMotherHen

NewOldMotherHen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    Well, this is certainly a surprise but it makes sense now. I've been trying to figure out what breed they were using the list of possibilities in the advertisement. Speckled Sussex was not even in the list. The five different breeds were supposed to be from this list: Barred Plymouth Rock; Black Australorp; White Plymouth Rock; Silver Laced Syandotte; Rhode Island Red; Buff Orphington; Ameracauna

I'm a little disappointed that I won't be getting colored eggs, but after reading about the Sussex, they sound pretty good. Is it normal for a customer to receive a breed that is not in the list?

Thanks for clearing up the mystery.

5. farmgirlforever18

farmgirlforever18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    the one on the left looks like a roo if you look close you can see the what looks like saddle feathers and the other a girl [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  6. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Cute Speckled Sussex pullets!! They are nice chickens! : )

7. LadyBirdsPalace

LadyBirdsPalace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    UpNorth
    Definitely Speckled Sussex, these are my two! 9 wks old.

[​IMG]

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Speckled Sussex !00%. I can see where they might have been confused with EE chicks because they do have a kind of chipmunk look to them at first.

I am seeing suspicious feathers on the left-hand one as well. He looks to be developing the long spikey saddle feathers that flop over the tail. The one on the right is a pullet.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think at 8 weeks, it's too early for saddle feathers on this breed. When I raised SS, the males had tons of white on the breast and were very round bodied with stubby tails. Those both look like the pullets I had, not the cockerels, but as always, time will tell.

10. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Hatcheries will often substitute breeds if they don't have everything you ordered ready. You can request no subs when you order though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by