Would these chickens be considered good for showing or "pet" quality?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Dec 13, 2009.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Could you tell me if my chickens below are good for show or pet quality? I am thinking about showing so any information or faults about my birds would be apreciated [​IMG] Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    Sanga she is a Barred rock hen (about 1 year old)
    [​IMG]
    Buffy the BO pullet (she is now a hen about 1 year old)
    [​IMG]
    Rain the porcelain d'uccle bantam hen (i know her feathered feet are bad in the picture but i have been working with both of my porcelains on their feet. the both are about 2 years old)
    [​IMG]
    Snow ball the porcelain d'uccle bantam roo
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    the barred rock hen looks just like mine. i think the barring should be cleaner to show but i wouldnt trade mine for 2 show hens.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Can't see his feet but I think the roo is gorgeous.

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I can't help, all I know about is Seramas. [​IMG]

5. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Quote:agree.

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    The roo is lovely, but I can't tell if it's just the pic, but I am seeing some discoloration on the top of his comb...frostbite? If so, he cannot be shown. On the d'Uccle hen, it's hard to tell in the pic, but uniformity of coloring is very important, and the angle makes it tough, but her comb looks iffy from this angle.

Don't know enough about SQ BO's and BR's to have an opinion on the other two. [​IMG]

7. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Quote:I thought he had frostbite then too.. but luckily it was a false elarme. his comb is just fine [​IMG]
    Thanks everyone for your imput!

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't help with quality, but I think the d'Uccle roo is beautiful. If that is frostbite, and that's what it looks like from here, clearing it up isn't so hard. Rub his comb with Neosporin or Aquafor (sp?) 2-3 times a day and the comb should get healthier. This is typical winter care stuff. Happens to my birds every few weeks when the weather is particularly bad, and I resolve it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by