1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

would this be ok for a backyard setup?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by m00nd0g, Dec 15, 2011.

1. m00nd0g

m00nd0g New Egg

Dec 12, 2011
    after doing alot of reading, i think i have decided what im gonna do...but i thought i'd run it by u guys/gals with experiance what u think of this...

i really like the plymoth rocks...

i love the way the barred rocks look, but i want to stay away from the sex-link chicks. so instead i think im gonna get a few of the others: partridge, buff, and the white rocks...

im wanting to get 2 roos and around 16 hens to fit my needs for eggs and occasionally meat. im thinking of getting 4 white hens, 6 buff hens, and 6 partridge...and 1 buff roo and 1 partridge roo

these will never be for show, they will be just my own backyard chickens. do you see any problems i may run into? i understand the white will give off the recessive white gene thingy, but like i said, these are just for my own backyard...so that doesn't really matter to me...

2. cornish20

cornish20 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    if you are planning on raising mixed, matched, and mutted PR chickens.. .does the original color really matter= after a generation or two, you won't be able to tell what they once were anyways most likely.

3. BBrock

BBrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    Yes u will have problems mixing chickens will never look the same! So it doesn't really matter. What u breed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by