Would this incubator work?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lswatson111304, Dec 14, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    The incubator I'm using is borrowed, so I searched on craigslist and I found a listing, but I'm really not sure about this at all. The only info I found online is some of the same brand for like laboratory use...so is this the wrong type of incubator? I feel pretty stupid right now! [​IMG]
    http://austin.craigslist.org/bfs/2713568534.html

2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Yes, put a tray of water and an egg turner in it, and it would probably be a really awesome incubator. And if you bought it, you could paint it Glossy Lime green color. It would look really awesome.

3. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Quote:HAHA Love the idea of painting it!!!!
    I emailed them today and hopefully they will get back to me.
    I also have an uncle that has a wood cabinet incubator that holds 300 eggs he will let go for $100, but I don't think I need to go that big...

4. free_loader

free_loader Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    DeLeon Springs
    I agree, should would great.. lab incubators usually hold rock solid temps... only downside I see is no window... but i'm sure if you get creatvie you can find a fun way to add one.. for $20 you can't lose

5. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

I would get them both. Your uncles incubator is a very good deal, and sometimes you just need 2 incubators.

6. cpuking

cpuking Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    IF you paint it, make sure to use a non toxic, green based paint, it might only be 100 in the incubator, but around the heating elements it can get hot, and cause the paint to fume!

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Be smart. BUY BOTH OF THEM!

8. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    That is a sweet unit!

But yes get a back up!!!
    Nothing feels worse than everything going great for 15-16 days then all of the sudden your bator quits and you lose everything. [​IMG]
    I speak from experience! Now I always use the back up as a short term staging area. I move the Chicks from the Big bator once they hatch, if they are still wet. I use the small back up as a dryer/brooder. Then when they are dry and ready I move them into the big brooder pen under the lights. I always have staggered hatch and this works really well for me.

Good luck and God Bless!

9. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Ok, she emailed me back and said that she had a guy buy 2 other of her incubators and put turners in them to work. Sounds like I'm going to get me a $20 incubator. Hey, its only $20 so I won't be out much if I can't get it to work out! I'm sure I'll be getting it home and posting pics asking what kind of modifications I need to make to it! LOL

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    It looks interesting. I would put a turner in it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by