Would this make a good coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hegatha, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
  2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:it would need bether venalation and watch it dosent get too hot in summer

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, I would also be concerned about ventilation and if it's sturdy enough not to get knocked down by a hard wind blowing.

4. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:there pretty sturty

5. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:there pretty sturty

Our local Lowe's has similar sheds and 1 weekend we had bad weather with wind and rain and all of those plastic sheds were turned over by the wind and thrown across the Lowe's parkign lot. That's why I mentioned that.

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It would work here in Western Washington with fairly simple modifications. It should hold up to the rain too. I have seen these style storage sheds made into coops. You may benefit to joining us on the Washington State thread.

7. djjeffery

djjeffery Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    I suspect it would make a fine coop. Modified a little for ventilation, nesting and roosting.

I would suggest that if wind is at all a concern you can get some screw anchors used for tying your dog in the middle of the yard. Screw 2 of them per side of your coop. Throw a couple ratchet straps over the top and anchor to the screw anchors.

I live in windy Alberta. I had to do something similar to hold our cheap gazebo down.

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Good advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by