Would this make an auto-sexing chick?

Feb 17, 2021
Somewhere down in Texas
Hi everyone, I’ve been contemplating getting a few Bielefelder chicks, and I know they are an auto-sexing breed. If I were to cross them with a cuckoo Maran or EE would the chicks end up auto-sexing, or since only one parent is auto-sexing would you not be able to tell in the chicks? I’m very inexperienced with crossing breeds and everything, so I have no clue what to expect except with a TWB x Maran (blue egg x dark brown egg) cross. Thanks for any help, it’s greatly appreciated! :)

-ChickenWhisperer101

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe you can only autosex within the same breed.... sex linking may be what you’re trying to do, but will not work with the breeds listed above. However if your Marans is a roo and you cross him with your blue egg layers, you should get olive eggers. They just won’t be sex linked.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe you can only autosex within the same breed.... sex linking may be what you’re trying to do, but will not work with the breeds listed above. However if your Marans is a roo and you cross him with your blue egg layers, you should get olive eggers. They just won’t be sex linked.
Yeah, that’s my future plan. Thanks for all the input everyone

I’ve been contemplating getting a few Bielefelder chicks, and I know they are an auto-sexing breed. If I were to cross them with a cuckoo Maran or EE would the chicks end up auto-sexing, or since only one parent is auto-sexing would you not be able to tell in the chicks? I’m very inexperienced with crossing breeds and everything, so I have no clue what to expect except with a TWB x Maran (blue egg x dark brown egg) cross.

I just noticed this, but I think I can answer part of that.

Bielefelder x Cuckoo Maran chicks you may be able to sex, because they will be pure for the barring gene. Males may have a larger head spot, and will almost certainly have more white in the barring as they grow their feathers. Females will probably have a smaller head spot or no head spot, and should have much less white in their feathers (still barred, but overall darker.)

Bielefelder male x Easter Egger female will not give autosexing or sex-linked chicks. (Exception for a few specific colors of Easter Egger female, but you probably won't be dealing with them.)

Bielefelder female x Easter Egger male MIGHT give sex-linked chicks, depending on the Easter Egger. He would need to not have barring. The Bielefelder mother will pass barring to her sons only, so if the father is not-barred, the daughters will also be not-barred. A white Easter Egger male would not work, because white barring does not show up well on a white bird ;)

Cuckoo Marans hen can give sex-linked chicks with certain males, just like a Bielefelder hen can. Cuckoo Marans rooster will not produce sex-linked chicks with Easter Egger or Whiting True Blue hens.

And if you cross a blue-egger with a brown-egger you get a green-egger (blue shell with a layer of brown on the outside.) Some people call them Olive Eggers when the eggs are a dark green (because the brown layer is dark, like from a Marans parent.)

I just noticed this, but I think I can answer part of that.

Bielefelder x Cuckoo Maran chicks you may be able to sex, because they will be pure for the barring gene. Males may have a larger head spot, and will almost certainly have more white in the barring as they grow their feathers. Females will probably have a smaller head spot or no head spot, and should have much less white in their feathers (still barred, but overall darker.)

Bielefelder male x Easter Egger female will not give autosexing or sex-linked chicks. (Exception for a few specific colors of Easter Egger female, but you probably won't be dealing with them.)

Bielefelder female x Easter Egger male MIGHT give sex-linked chicks, depending on the Easter Egger. He would need to not have barring. The Bielefelder mother will pass barring to her sons only, so if the father is not-barred, the daughters will also be not-barred. A white Easter Egger male would not work, because white barring does not show up well on a white bird ;)

Cuckoo Marans hen can give sex-linked chicks with certain males, just like a Bielefelder hen can. Cuckoo Marans rooster will not produce sex-linked chicks with Easter Egger or Whiting True Blue hens.

And if you cross a blue-egger with a brown-egger you get a green-egger (blue shell with a layer of brown on the outside.) Some people call them Olive Eggers when the eggs are a dark green (because the brown layer is dark, like from a Marans parent.)
Thanks

I have a Crested Cream Legbar (blue egg) crossed with a Wheaten Marians (dark chocolate egg). She’s a beautiful off white color with a little crested hairdo. Her name is Ethel and she should lay green eggs.

Attachments

• 0C3A384F-C406-4BA4-A9C4-FAE9927F1E0C.jpeg
    0C3A384F-C406-4BA4-A9C4-FAE9927F1E0C.jpeg
    488.5 KB · Views: 26
This is Ginger. She’s a cross between a Bielefelder and a Crested Cream Legbar. She should lay green eggs.

Attachments

• 8C3F7518-7619-4D7C-B842-E208CFC0F68E.jpeg
    8C3F7518-7619-4D7C-B842-E208CFC0F68E.jpeg
    617.7 KB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom