Would this shed work?

If I could build a coop it would be like the coops of old. Long and short in the back and high in the front. The more floor room you have the better. Floor space is more important than height.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, though yeah I've seen some of those types of buildings that aren't very sturdy so I'd be careful too.

That's good ventilation for summer sure, but you need ventilation in winter too, almost as much as in summer believe it or not. You'll need to consider how you'll manage that because open windows are probably too direct. Ventilation in winter needs to be high up and indirect so it doesn't blow drafts right on the birds, but allows air to circulate well. The first time you are trying to cut holes in a building in freezing winter conditions because the warm air inside is condensing and causing it to rain inside the building, you'll know what we're talking about.

Quote:
Would the gable vent and maybe leaving one window (that faces our garage) work? How does it work in wood coops? Whichever way we go I want to make sure that ventilation is good.

I think it would make a great coop!

As for ventilation, the hardware cloth over the windows would work and in the winter close them up and maybe cut a vent hole with cap at the top of the front and back walls.
That will allow for great ventilation.

Like this:
Base-Vent-HV-20.jpg

Good luck....and post pics of your finished project!

big_smile.png
looks like it would work!! a friend of mine used a little tykes house and put chicken wire over the openings... so this will definitly work!!! much luck to you and your flock!

I am also looking for an inexpensive coop so I checked this out on Home Depot. I see it comes without a floor. What are you going to use for the floor?

Thanks,

Becky

Quote:
Hi Becky,

It says it includes a floor but it recommends putting it either on a concrete slab or wood. We'll put ours on 4x4x8 pressure treated skids--2 or 3 of them.

Back
Top Bottom