Would you add Death Layer chickens to your flock?

Wow, it sounds like you have gained so much from your experience! for starters, is that pronounced "doo-CLAY"? Youtube people don't even seem to know how to say it! lol

Yes, I had started researching the Dominique chicken through the Dominique club, and found one of what looks like very reputable breeder of Dorkings too, but I really don't want to get in over my head maybe with that just yet. Cackle actually sells recognized Dominique lines if I wanted to start there. I also found a lady who has Light Sussex available, and another who does Wyandottes and has the partridge color I might be interested in. I was also considering the Buckeye as a nice (red) meat bird, which is fairly readily available (Meyer carries).

Eventually, I can see myself keeping a small handful of good heritage lines, while leaving myself the possibly of breeding a terminal cross for sex-link meat birds / laying chicks. But I'm sure that sounds like it's all over the place, and I want to try and develop a focused plan.

I would sort of like to first add a couple more breeds to my laying flock (Lavender Marans, possibly Cuckoo Marans, but maybe not if I get the Dominiques) while my space is still limited. Then add the hens that could be used for any sex-link project (Light Sussex and/or Dominique), and then my possible rooster breeds (Partridge Wyandotte, Buckeye). Or add them in hybrid breeding combos i.e. Wyandotte and Sussex, Buckeye and Dominique. I was looking at the Buff Chantecler as well for the same purpose as the Buckeye, but I have read more that their temperaments can make them harder to work with.

And then there is to me is on the other end of the spectrum, just keeping a straight heritage breed for meat and while focusing on preserving a good line, like the Buckeyes or White Dorkings, but not necessarily to cross. Simpler in some ways not to have both breeds (if I could pick just one) or have both but keep separate and not have to manage the crossing, but the tradeoff seems like more pressure in selecting which offspring to keep, because with the crosses of course, that wouldn't matter.

So as far as the Death Layers go, that to me is more likely to be like a little pet project for my MIL, not necessarily for myself to breed, but potentially, if I'm already keeping a handful of roosters on hand, what's one more? lol I will definitely take your suggestion and look into the breed clubs for them, if I want to consider seriously presenting it to her. And then as I start to get more experience keeping and breeding chickens, decide whether it's a breed I would like to maintain.

Phew! If anyone read all that, they get a scratch cake. 😁 I need lots of help. hahah

Wow, it sounds like you have gained so much from your experience! for starters, is that pronounced "doo-CLAY"? Youtube people don't even seem to know how to say it! lol

Yes, I had started researching the Dominique chicken through the Dominique club, and found one of what looks like very reputable breeder of Dorkings too, but I really don't want to get in over my head maybe with that just yet. Cackle actually sells recognized Dominique lines if I wanted to start there. I also found a lady who has Light Sussex available, and another who does Wyandottes and has the partridge color I might be interested in. I was also considering the Buckeye as a nice (red) meat bird, which is fairly readily available (Meyer carries).

Eventually, I can see myself keeping a small handful of good heritage lines, while leaving myself the possibly of breeding a terminal cross for sex-link meat birds / laying chicks. But I'm sure that sounds like it's all over the place, and I want to try and develop a focused plan.

I would sort of like to first add a couple more breeds to my laying flock (Lavender Marans, possibly Cuckoo Marans, but maybe not if I get the Dominiques) while my space is still limited. Then add the hens that could be used for any sex-link project (Light Sussex and/or Dominique), and then my possible rooster breeds (Partridge Wyandotte, Buckeye). Or add them in hybrid breeding combos i.e. Wyandotte and Sussex, Buckeye and Dominique. I was looking at the Buff Chantecler as well for the same purpose as the Buckeye, but I have read more that their temperaments can make them harder to work with.

And then there is to me is on the other end of the spectrum, just keeping a straight heritage breed for meat and while focusing on preserving a good line, like the Buckeyes or White Dorkings, but not necessarily to cross. Simpler in some ways not to have both breeds (if I could pick just one) or have both but keep separate and not have to manage the crossing, but the tradeoff seems like more pressure in selecting which offspring to keep, because with the crosses of course, that wouldn't matter.

So as far as the Death Layers go, that to me is more likely to be like a little pet project for my MIL, not necessarily for myself to breed, but potentially, if I'm already keeping a handful of roosters on hand, what's one more? lol I will definitely take your suggestion and look into the breed clubs for them, if I want to consider seriously presenting it to her. And then as I start to get more experience keeping and breeding chickens, decide whether it's a breed I would like to maintain.

Phew! If anyone read all that, they get a scratch cake. 😁 I need lots of help. hahah
You should consider adding Wellsummers. They are friendly talkitive birds that lay well and have the most stunning Roosters. Very friendly birds and nice dark brown eggs. Not as dark as a copper maran but many lay speckled eggs that are very cool

You should consider adding Wellsummers. They are friendly talkitive birds that lay well and have the most stunning Roosters. Very friendly birds and nice dark brown eggs. Not as dark as a copper maran but many lay speckled eggs that are very cool
And yes the correct pronunciation sounds like. MILL Four Do Clay yes it makes me chuckle when utubers call them Uncles

Yes! You are speaking my love language! Hahha I started my flock with Australorps and Welsummers. 😍 I'm afraid I might Actually have all pullets here, but the roosters can be crossed with the Light Sussex to make the super cool sex linked "Welsex" cross. 🤷 Maybe? I've also heard of people crossing them over cuckoo Marans to get a nice extra-prolific dark egg laying sex link, too. My friend recently ended up with one in her batch of "pullets " lucky duck

Attachments

• 20220606_182852.jpg
    20220606_182852.jpg
    688.5 KB · Views: 13
And yes the correct pronunciation sounds like. MILL Four Do Clay yes it makes me chuckle when utubers call them Uncles
I don't know much about them bc I wasn't thinking as much about bantams, but they are beautiful! I almost started off with speckled Sussex (but then I had to cancel the order), and then I discovered Swedish Flower Hens, which I love, too! They were the most expensive chicks I was looking at before I added my Welsummers, so unfortunately they had to wait. :/

Oh man, anglophones butchering the french language 🤦🏼‍♀️. It should be pronounced like meal-flurr-doocle. In general you can skip prounouncing the last letter in French, not like Spanish where the terminal E sound like ay. Saying Dooclay sounds like Louisiana Creole 😂

I just put deathlayer eggs from Greenfire farms in the incubator. I’ll let you know how it goes :)

My Deathlayers free range and roost inside my garage at night. They get along with my Ayan Cemani's and Easter Eggers but tend to hang out with their own age group. They like to roost up high because they feel better protected and tend to be a bit easy to startle. As long as they feel safe in whatever your roosting situation may be I think they would do just fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom