Would you/could you do this.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PaulaSB12, Apr 21, 2012.

1. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    I have 3 cats 1 rough collie. Now Queenie and Tippy are a bit grumpy and Socks is the biggest wuss ever but none of them are actually nasty (though why Tippy has an underwear fettish is beyond me!) Lucy is an old lady who loves cats but I don't think she will live for much longer. Now my vet has a notice about two 2 year old cats that need a home together now I can put them in a safe area where they can see each other (the woman who was going to get rid of her 12 is moving somewhere better so is keeping him [​IMG]) now if they are still needing a home would you do it and could it be done introducing and integrating a 8 year old and a 7 year old queen with 2 2 year old queens (Socks will just do as he is told so he is no problem)

2. HappyPlace

HappyPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    Middle of the Mitten
    I have 2 younger cats (ages 5 and 4, neutered and spayed, respectively) that I got in my divorce and a 12 year old unfixed male that lives with my parents. After my divorce, I moved back in with my parents, who also have a dog. My older cat seems to tolerate my other two, but my parents' dog goes after them something fierce, which means the two youngest are confined to my bedroom. It's not ideal and I hate the situation, but it's what I have to do for now. If my three cats could interact on a daily basis, I think they would all be fast friends by now. All animals are different, though...

Personally, I would really consider the personalities of my existing animals and visit these other cats to see if they would even kind of get along. After that, if I still thought it might be a good idea, I would go for it, but be realistic. These new cats may not get along with your other animals, or vice versa - to the point where you may have to find a new home for your new cats...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  3. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    I know that I've just been REALLY lucky all these years but I've never had a bit of trouble adding animals to my family. I tell folks that I simply expect them to all behave (and am prepared in case they don't). I don't hover/stress/coo/restrain/separate or anything else - pretty much just let the new one walk in and find it's place in the family. There is always the expected hissing and slinking from the cats when someone new (dog, cat or otherwise) shows up - but it is discouraged and passes in a few days. The dogs almost always make 1 attempt to chase whatever the newbie is. If it defends itself, good to go. If not, they get a stern NO! and are monitored for a while... but I've never had to tell them twice. The old barn cat has been known to beat the snot out of 'hobo' cats but when I plunked a kitten down in the barn he gave it a couple of (claws sheathed) whacks to let it know he was still in charge and that was that. My sheltie has been the only exception in over 30yrs of multi-pet ownership. He has never had any trouble with anything else, but he has fixated on that new kitten in the barn. Luckily, Punkinhead (kitten) has realized that Gilligan (sheltie) can't get out of the fence so he just simply stays out of reach.
    Make sure the newbies have somewhere to retreat to. Same for the residents. Be fair to all. Let them work out the details.
    Good Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by