Would you feed this to your chicken?

Pics
I dont know what it is but it was inside a tree we just took down. Any ideas?
View attachment 1938795
They're huge. This is a rotten basswood tree on our property that had to go. I'd give them to the chickens but I'm afraid since I don't know what they are
They’re some type of beatle larvae. Also known as chicken candy. Collect all you can find and throw them to the birds. They will devour them! Good source of protein.

I live in Kent and had a very similar larva turn up in my garden following a very stormy night.I live by the sea and it does get stormy. However, I recognized it as a hummingbird hawk moth larva. Beautiful moth and endangered here. I put it in a safe place to carry on its life, but I can just imagine your chicks faced with their treat.

I was an entomologist (am now a translator) and I'd say they are grubs of some large scarab beetle, which is the family that includes Japanese beetles, June beetles, dung beetles (including the sacred scarabs of Egypt), and also some large species like rhinoceros beetles and unicorn beetles.

Wow, my chickens would die for those it’s like crack to them. Very high in protein and very good for them. I would not let them turn into Beatles that would be a waste. They’re more healthier for the chickens when they are fat juicy larvae. Chickens love all insects or basically anything that moves that they can peck at or chase. But I have found they’re not so eager to eat adult beetles as much.

Mine aren't fans of true caterpillars. Wooly worms and the like. They actually run from those, which I think is funny. They turn their noses up at tobacco/tomato worms too. BUT they will follow you around if you carry a shovel because shovel=hole=yummies

Back
Top Bottom