Would you feed your chickens feed that has worms?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shay20, Jul 14, 2010.

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Ok so would you or would you not?
    So you buy a bag of feed and you open it up and it has those worms in it would you feed it to your chickens? Or would go get a refund or a new bag?Now i know the chickens eat bugs and stuff from the ground, but when a person takes precaution in keeping there feed clean and free from bugs, moisture, mold, and then to pay full price for a brand new bag of feed and have it have worms, well, that's why i made this poll, to find out other people's opinions.
    I appreciate everyone's opinions, but me i look for bags with out worms or bugs in it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I had it happen to me. I returned the 50# sack to the feed store. It turns out it wasnt rotated and even had moldy crumbles in the bottom. I exchanged it for another sack which was just delivered that same morning. No problems since.

3. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    they may eat worms, but i sure would prefer them getting the worms from the ground not some feed that has to be old enough to have worms and bugs. No i would not feed mine feed with worms, would have to take it back and get a refund or a fresh bag. [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    No Way... I'd get a refund.

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Nuh-uh. If the feed has bugs, who knows if it has mold or something else?

6. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    I'd return it. The worms in that bag are the larval stage of moths. It usually means the bag was sitting around for a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by