Would you have a necropsy done?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SassyKat6181, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I have a 1.5 yr old Black Sexlink that has been ill for about 4 months now. Lethargic, pale comb, fluffed up and sits on the roost all day, eats and drinks very little, runny stool. I have tried everything to make her better and she has given up. She doesn't even try to move when she is getting pecked. I have decided it is time to put her down and have called around to get a necropsy done. I was able to locate a college that will euthanize her and do a full necropsy for $150. Being that I have 50 birds here, chickens, ducks and guineas, I feel that it is necessary to get it done and possibly get some answers as to what made her so sick. I also feel that I need to know in case I have to treat everyone. No one else has shown any symptoms of being ill. My husband thinks that I am crazy for wanting to spend $150, but I see it as a preventative measure in that I could lose everyone. Please weigh in on your opionion as I would need to bring her to the school today. Thanks

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Sounds like the evil egg impactation or egg periodontics. Very painful and death would not be very far off.

There is NO cure, it is due to the genetics of these fast production, high production breeds.

If you can, you can put her down and do an autospy on her...I bet you will find pale tumors all over her abdomen.

If no one in the flock seems to be affected, it is pretty certain its an isolated case and the DX would be egg periodontics.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I voted "no." However, I've sent fecal samples off to be analyzed and learned a roo I once had, had a severe ecoli infection...$50.
    You do what your heart and conscience tells you to do.
    Check her for lice/mites, worm her as necessary. Egg impactation is a good possibility, but they normally die much sooner than the 4 months you mentioned. I had it happen to a 6 year old Black Star several years ago

4. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I have wormed her with two types, cured the lice problem and also have treated her with two rounds of penicillin. She was going through a heavy molt and hasn't laid since before she got ill. Poor girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by