1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would you have taken this feed back?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gritsar, Sep 12, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Went to the co-op yesterday for chicken feed. I wanted to switch the chickens over to gamebird feed while they are molting.
    I ordered gamebird pellets, but when I took my sales slip out to the loading area, the man said all they had was crumbles. I said okay, give me crumbles.
    He loaded the bag and we left. At our next stop in town I noticed there were little black, what I call mealy bugs, climbing all over the bag.
    I insisted on taking the bag back. DH and the man at the co-op both said, what for? Just more protein.
    To me mealy bugs is not something I want in my chicken feed and can be a sign of old feed.
    Who is right?

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    You are exactly right. I'll return bags simply because they have too many fines. `Extra Protein'? Try feckless quality control. If you wanted bugs you could have bought some meal worms, yes?

3. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    You are right. Put some flour out and let the bugs get in it and ask he DH if it is OK to use? I agree that it could be old feed. I have had my own flock for 4 years and have yet to find any bugs in my feed, commercial or custom blend.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  4. anngili

anngili Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, I'd return it. And ask for the supervisor if an employee gave me the "what for" comment. I don't think the feed store would want the reputation that they sell bad feed.

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would return it too. You don't need to pay for a bunch of bugs, feed dust and bug poop!

6. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Eww, yes I would have returned it. Though it may be more protein, you have to ask yourself why they're feeding on it as a lot of bugs only appear when there's something foul. I don't see how all those old bug droppings could be very healthy either.

7. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Maybe it was old, which is why they told you that was all they had, so they could get rid of it??

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Definitely return it. Everything you read says not to feed food if it has bugs in it. Tell the co-op guy that he can feed it to his birds!

9. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    I agree I would of taken it back. You paid for fresh feed you should get fresh feed.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Ditto.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by