Would you keep a mean chicken?

Makes me wonder if the Wyandotte pulled feathers in the neighbor's flock.

Can you safely separate the Wyandotte where she can't be seen by the rest of the flock for a few days?

If so, reintroduce her after a few days. She may take a place lower in the pecking order and loose her bullying ways. If not, move her back a bit longer. I've had this work for me.

Is the Wyandotte the only one without feathers on feet or beards? Her being a newcomer, maybe she thinks the other chickens are too different.
Regardless of that a bully causing damage and stressing the flock at my place becomes a chicken taco. 🌮

Can you safely separate the Wyandotte where she can't be seen by the rest of the flock for a few days?

If so, reintroduce her after a few days. She may take a place lower in the pecking order and loose her bullying ways. If not, move her back a bit longer. I've had this work for me.
She's been with the rest of my flock since the brooding box in the Spring. This is pretty new behavior for her in the last 2 months. Though this also corresponds with when she started laying. I'd love to separate her but I can't catch her.

She's been with the rest of my flock since the brooding box in the Spring. This is pretty new behavior for her in the last 2 months. Though this also corresponds with when she started laying. I'd love to separate her but I can't catch her.
It's usually much easier to get them off the roost at night if they are hard to catch. They won't move around so much in the dark.

Is the Wyandotte the only one without feathers on feet or beards? Her being a newcomer, maybe she thinks the other chickens are too different.
Regardless of that a bully causing damage and stressing the flock at my place becomes a chicken taco. 🌮
She's not a newcomer. She's been with all of them since the brooding box, except for our Rooster who joined them once they were outside.
I just had my husband come and observe. She's attacking at least one chicken every minute. He said, "She needs to go!"
Her behavior started as soon as she started laying eggs about a month and a half to 2 months ago.

She's not a newcomer. She's been with all of them since the brooding box, except for our Rooster who joined them once they were outside.
I just had my husband come and observe. She's attacking at least one chicken every minute. He said, "She needs to go!"
Her behavior started as soon as she started laying eggs about a month and a half to 2 months ago.
Have you tried Peepers?

This is what I was going to suggest. Let them reestablish the pecking order without that one. If it was a rooster, then soup, but a hen can be put in her place.

It's usually much easier to get them off the roost at night if they are hard to catch. They won't move around so much in the dark.
Unfortunately, it's been very cold here, so nowhere else for her to keep warm at night.

I'd love to separate her but I can't catch her.

Unfortunately, it's been very cold here, so nowhere else for her to keep warm at night.
I've never had problems redirecting a hens bad behavior. I did have to separate them for a bit. Easiest when they can't see each other for a few days.

You can do it with them seeing each other but the period of separation may take longer.

Back
Top Bottom