Would you put the coop on gravel or topsoil?

acissej

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Duvall, WA
We have 2 possibilities for where to put our coop when it arrives Saturday. One is an area on the same side of the driveway as the house, where we had landscapers fix up for us and lay topsoil down a few years ago. We had it as a vegetable garden a couple years ago but haven't done that since. It's just all weeds and topsoil now.

The other possibility is where we plan to build a garage in about 3-4 years. So yes, we would have to move the coop at that point. It's graveled and leveled. It would be slightly less easy to run power and/or water out there since any hose or extension cord would have to run across the driveway. But drainage might be better of course, being on gravel.

I really want to put it over on the topsoil area but I worry about mud. Is there a way to prevent it from becoming muddy in the first place? What if I put down a bunch of sand?

Last edited:
Many post here about sand as a base. Many people like it a whole lot. I would put it in the place you would prefer to have it.

I agree, put it where you want it. The additional benefit of the topsoil would be that plant sgrow better in it than they do on gravel AND if you put it on gravel, plats will still end up growing and you'd have to remove them when you build your garage.

In principle I would put it on the soil rather than gravel. But in reality it will not make much difference either way, and you should put it wherever you WANT it. If it were me I'd put it in the location where I won't have to move it!!

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom