Would you remove this egg?

ronkonkoma

Crowing
7 Years
May 4, 2014
Long Island NY
I have an egg with no movement at all. I candles day 11 and 17. Let’s just talk about movement. How often would you see. NOTHING and the chick still be good?

the veining if that’s what it is, is not extensive. Air cell looks good. Chick looks smaller than the others. I’m considering throwing it away because I’m afraid to leave a rotten one in with healthy. It’s day 17.

so what chance is there - no movement but a healthy chick?

It probably comes from what you read on this forum but whether an egg is developing or not has nothing to do with you getting a rotten egg. An egg becomes rotten if bacteria gets inside, whether it is developing or not. You are not in any more danger of that egg becoming rotten than any egg with a live moving chick. Go by the sniff test. If it smells rotten remove it.

I only remove eggs that are clear when I candle for lockdown. That's not because I am worried about them being rotten but to give more room in the incubator for the eggs likely to hatch. That makes it easier for me to keep track during hatch if I have fewer to observe.

I don't go by whether I see movement or not. With some of my darker brown or green eggs it can be pretty hard to see movement anyway. If it is mostly dark with an air cell it stays. If it is really clear where I can see that there is definitely no chick in it I'll remove it.

If you are seeing veining and not just dark at 17 days it is possible that egg stopped developing at some point and will not hatch, but I doubt that I'd remove it. I try to give life a chance. If it doesn't hatch open it after the hatch and see what stage of developing it has. That might help you the next time you candle.

Good luck!

It probably comes from what you read on this forum but whether an egg is developing or not has nothing to do with you getting a rotten egg. An egg becomes rotten if bacteria gets inside, whether it is developing or not. You are not in any more danger of that egg becoming rotten than any egg with a live moving chick. Go by the sniff test. If it smells rotten remove it.

I only remove eggs that are clear when I candle for lockdown. That's not because I am worried about them being rotten but to give more room in the incubator for the eggs likely to hatch. That makes it easier for me to keep track during hatch if I have fewer to observe.

I don't go by whether I see movement or not. With some of my darker brown or green eggs it can be pretty hard to see movement anyway. If it is mostly dark with an air cell it stays. If it is really clear where I can see that there is definitely no chick in it I'll remove it.

If you are seeing veining and not just dark at 17 days it is possible that egg stopped developing at some point and will not hatch, but I doubt that I'd remove it. I try to give life a chance. If it doesn't hatch open it after the hatch and see what stage of developing it has. That might help you the next time you candle.

Good luck!

yes that’s what I assumed happened. It stopped developing at some point. I kind of think what I’m thinking may be veining is a blood ring? ‍♀️ We’ll see but I’m thinking it’s no good. It’s day 17 and is much smaller than the rest.

Back
Top Bottom