Would you say chickens are smart?

My chickens seem to be smart at being chickens... but my Silkies are a different story. They are the silliest little things. Their run is completely covered except for about a foot which is open. It was pouring down rain the other day and they chose to huddle in the 1 square foot that was uncovered. We had to go out in the rain and pick up each one and put them under the covered area. At least they stayed in the dry area once they were put there.

I have a flock of 8 week olds and I watch them out the kitchen window and they always, somehow, look like they are up to no good.
tongue.png

Quote:
They're sneaky little rascals. Take your eye off them for a second and all hell will break loose.
ep.gif

Last edited:
Well I think they are smarter than alot of people give them credit for.
I just asked cause a guy on another forum got his dog shot and killed for killing a mans chickens. Some people got upset and were saying things like chickens dont even know they are in this world they are nothing they are the dumbest things alive. Not to shoot a dog over.

But I thought my chickens were pretty darn smart. Smarter than I originally thought chickens to be
cool.png

Some of mine are pretty dumb. One of my girls will see the others outside of the coop, and she'll follow them along the chicken wire trying to get out. It's like she can't remember where the door is EVERY DAY! She's also the same chicken that walked around a chainlink fence and then kept trying to get through it because she couldn't figure out how to walk back around. Poor thing, She's also the most timid and cautious, but I guess I would be too if I were that dumb.
lau.gif

ok, mine are as dumb as yours about the fence thing. If they are outside the run and a couple are inside the run, they go to the fence area where the other chickens are, instead of walking around the corner to the door. It doesn't matter how many times I show them where the door is, if there is a chicken on the other side of the fence they go directly to it and can't figure out how to get back in. It drives me crazy sometimes to have to always herd them in the direction of the door!

Quote:
One of my pullets has an issue with the fence thingy but I let her figure it out on her own, which she eventually does. On the other hand, I can't tell you how many times I've seen people constantly and recklessly changing lanes trying to cheat traffic but only to find themselves a mile behind me and other geniuses because we just stayed in the same lane. Now is that dumb or what?
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom