Would you say something?

Genipher

Songster
11 Years
Jan 9, 2013
I'm chicken sitting for a friend. Chickens are at my house. It is a temporary situation.

As I've been handling the newbies, I've noticed many of them are missing ALL their breast feathers. One has no tail and her butt looks raw and bloody. Their claws have clumps of feces like a ball-and-chain. Their wings feel "crunchy", they're so dirty, and they stink sooooo bad.

I adopted a few of my sisters chickens and when I got them, they were pretty filthy and they had obviously taken off each other's tails. Since moving in with my flock (last year) they've flourished and are healthy looking again.

From these two experiences....am I just an oddball, having chickens that are fairly clean, don't stink, and just look healthy?? I'm feeling pretty judgy about this, honestly. Not understanding how someone (my sister included!!) can let their animals live in such an inhumane situation. I mean, I'm pretty laissez-faire with my animals but I still make sure they stay healthy, have space, and are clean.

That all said, I'm wondering if I should say something to the friend I'm chicken sitting for? I don't like confrontation and I'm not sure how I could say anything without offending but the condition of these birds...it's appalling. And in the time I keep them they could recover, become healthy, and then what? I return them to a situation where their health will decline again?

So do I say something or mind my own business?
And if I do say something, how do I say it in a loving way without causing offense?

I'm chicken sitting for a friend. Chickens are at my house. It is a temporary situation.

As I've been handling the newbies, I've noticed many of them are missing ALL their breast feathers. One has no tail and her butt looks raw and bloody. Their claws have clumps of feces like a ball-and-chain. Their wings feel "crunchy", they're so dirty, and they stink sooooo bad.

I adopted a few of my sisters chickens and when I got them, they were pretty filthy and they had obviously taken off each other's tails. Since moving in with my flock (last year) they've flourished and are healthy looking again.

From these two experiences....am I just an oddball, having chickens that are fairly clean, don't stink, and just look healthy?? I'm feeling pretty judgy about this, honestly. Not understanding how someone (my sister included!!) can let their animals live in such an inhumane situation. I mean, I'm pretty laissez-faire with my animals but I still make sure they stay healthy, have space, and are clean.

That all said, I'm wondering if I should say something to the friend I'm chicken sitting for? I don't like confrontation and I'm not sure how I could say anything without offending but the condition of these birds...it's appalling. And in the time I keep them they could recover, become healthy, and then what? I return them to a situation where their health will decline again?

So do I say something or mind my own business?
And if I do say something, how do I say it in a loving way without causing offense?
I would absolutely say something. From what you’ve described it sounds like those birds are kept in squalor. If nothing is said then odds are they’re going to keep living in those conditions. As to what to say I can’t really give much advice. I don’t know their personality and how personal they’d take things

I used to help my neighbor with her chickens. Once I went over and one had a broken beak. The waterers were always slimy. I think I was the only one that washed them. Another time all the feathers had been picked off of one chicken's butt to the point of bleeding. Since she was out of town, I brought the chicken to my house to give it's feathers time to grow back. I was never sure if she appreciated any of my efforts. You can try to get them healthy and give them back in good condition and see if she notices. But there's no nice way to say "you are a terrible chicken owner" lol

Could they have mites or something like that? Her bottom being raw and bloody is a big concern especially infection wise. I don’t like confrontation either so the only thing I can say is sick birds won’t give you eggs if that’s why they have them
Hm. It looks more like a hen-pecked butt. I'll take a closer look.
Man, I really hope it's not mites. I wasn't at ALL thinking and just stuck them in with my hens. Crap.

Edit: Some of them are laying, probably the healthier looking ones. I found 3 eggs in random spots and my hens all lay in designated nests.

Last edited:
I would absolutely say something. From what you’ve described it sounds like those birds are kept in squalor. If nothing is said then odds are they’re going to keep living in those conditions. As to what to say I can’t really give much advice. I don’t know their personality and how personal they’d take things
Well, not a "close" friend. More like an acquaintance from church. We had a good chat when the birds got dropped off but I'm not sure how this person would take it if I said anything. Don't think she would get angry, really, but might be embarrassed. She is in a situation where she's going to have to build a new coop so if I DO say something, she can adjust plans and provide more space or whatever is needed to keep the birds from such extreme feather pulling.

I used to help my neighbor with her chickens. Once I went over and one had a broken beak. The waterers were always slimy. I think I was the only one that washed them. Another time all the feathers had been picked off of one chicken's butt to the point of bleeding. Since she was out of town, I brought the chicken to my house to give it's feathers time to grow back. I was never sure if she appreciated any of my efforts. You can try to get them healthy and give them back in good condition and see if she notices. But there's no nice way to say "you are a terrible chicken owner" lol
That's basically what it's going to sound like, "You're a terrible chicken owner." sigh

So how about taking a different approach? Don’t say…omg they were in terrible condition, I feel like you don’t look after them properly, maybe just say…I have done this, I have cleaned them daily and their space (like you do) and they have flourished..isn’t it great how they look, I obvs took on board our conversations and your tips 😊 then ask if you can visit weekly because you have grown attached, that should give her a kick and make her do more! It’s hard to get it right, I don’t have this problem, my friends are not shy in coming forward! 😂 which works both ways, if I roll up, my friends don’t have a problem saying Rie…did u get dressed in the dark today? Or who the hell dressed you today! 😂😆🤣

If they seem like good people who love animals, you know sometimes people may just not know any better or be unaware I guess you'd say. I've seen people who have a deep love for their animals and mean well, but may be unexperienced and not know something is a problem. That's not to say EVERYONE is this way - unfortunately there is negativity in the world. But there are ways to approach it calmly. Maybe strike up a conversation about how the birds are doing/have done when they pick them up, and calmly ask if they noticed the feather loss. Take a very patient approach, and ask if you can help troubleshoot the cause in any way. Find out what their bedding/coop may be like and if they change bedding or if they've been dewormed. If their coop is too small or perhaps stressfully cramped - do they free range? Refer them to BYC and maybe share some things you've learned from there.

Don't make them feel bad, be open-minded and a good listener and instead offer help and educate them without being forceful. Let us know how it goes. I may not be much help, but over the years I've learned that a patient and level head, while being a good listener, shows wisdom. You can keep some situations from getting negative with your own calmness.

That's basically what it's going to sound like, "You're a terrible chicken owner." sigh
With the bald butt chicken I actually asked a lot of questions and got the feeling they minded that I had taken it upon myself to help her grow back her feathers. They said they had done that too and she just got picked on and there was nothing they could do about it. So I stopped meddling lol. There was nothing wrong with their setup other than the dirty waterers which they said "didn't hurt them" so I left it alone. We stayed friends so she might just take your advice and leave it or she might take it and be glad for it. You never know until you try. If she is building a new coop she might already be aware of the issues and anyone who cares enough to have their chickens looked after while they're out of town likely cares enough to listen to friendly advice

Back
Top Bottom