would you set eggs & go on vacation?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blueberrychickens, Jan 27, 2012.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    I know I'm totally crazy, but I'm wondering if this would be a bad thing or an ok thing. I am going away to Florida in May for 5 days. The hubby & kids are all staying home. Would it be ok to set the bator w/ eggs before I leave, so they can incubate while I'm gone?? It's not like I'm leaving them all alone. I'm sure I can bribe the hubby to keep an eye on them.
    What do you think??? I know May is a ways off, but I am a planner & need to know things far in advance, if I can. (planner = control freak!) I'm still waiting for my incubator to arrive!!

2. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I've left mine for a few days. Its always been in the beginning of incubation. As long as someone can add some water I think it would be fine. Even better is you have a automatic turner.

3. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    I'd have no problem with that if hubby and kids are responsible enough to keep an eye on the incubator and make any adjustments necessary.

I set eggs on Tues and I'm leaving tomorrow for a week. My trip is a car trip and I bought a converter to plug the incubator into a lighter socket in the car. I do have a pet sitter coming, but with everything else they have to watch I figured it was pressing my luck to throw in the incubator (and I wanted to be able to candle at 7 days) [​IMG]

Deb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by